Jump to main content

Exiles issue rallying call for Welsh-qualified female players

Girls rugby

The Exiles programme will be open for all players in the U14s, U16s and U18s age-range

The Welsh Rugby Union has issued a rallying call for the next generation of Welsh-qualified female rugby players based outside of Wales to attend three major training events this summer.

Share this page:

The Welsh Exiles programme is holding three training camps for girls based in the Midlands and the North of England, London and the South East and South and South West for players who have ambitions of playing elite rugby.

So if you were born in Wales and live in England, or have Welsh parents or grandparents and dream of wearing the famous red jersey we invite you to join us.

To register your interest in our exiles programme, CLICK HERE:

Wales has a proud rugby tradition and history of embracing players who are Welsh-qualified and live away but feel a strong allegiance to their family’s Welsh roots.

The current Wales Women’s senior side has players born in England or brought up away from Wales who have achieved their dream of playing rugby at international level.

Wing Carys Williams Morris who was born in Derby to Welsh-speaking parents has become an integral part of the Wales side, while Swansea-born but Auckland-raised flanker Kate Williams travelled from New Zealand to achieve her ambitions and made an emotional Wales debut against Ireland this year.

The Exiles programme will be open for all players in the U14s, U16s and U18s age-range at three training venues in London, Bristol and Nottingham.

The Exiles training camp venues and dates are as follows:

• Midlands & North: Nottingham Trent College – Tues, July 25th
  • London & South East: London Welsh RFC – Wed, July 26th
  • South and South West: Dings Crusaders, Bristol – Thurs, July 27th.

Carys Williams-Morris, Wales wing, said: “I was born in Derby and brought up in England, but we are a very proud Welsh family. My parents are from north Wales and we are Welsh-speaking family and they are so proud I play for Wales.

“My rugby journey started in the England pathway but that was because when I was a teenager Wales didn’t have U18s or U20s squads or the pathway now available and there is now a great opportunity for players that I never had.

“Playing for Wales in the recent World Cup and the Six Nations was an experience I will always cherish.  The Welsh Rugby Union and the RAF have allowed me to combine my career as a professional rugby player with work and the squad has qualified for the Tier 1 WXV tournament in October.”

Kate Williams, Wales backrower, said: “All my family are Welsh and I was born in Swansea and we moved to New Zealand when I was four years old back in 2004. I played rugby in North Harbour and for the Blues in Super Rugby and kept seeing social media clips of rugby in Wales.

“I told my Mum, I would love to go back and play rugby in Wales and it all started from there, really. Ioan Cunningham, the Wales Head coach, made contact with me and it’s all developed quickly from there and now I am in the Wales squad.

“I felt immensely proud to make my debut in the recent Six Nations and I know my Mum and Dad were too.  I have always felt very Welsh and to have the opportunity to wear the red jersey is something I never take for granted.”

Wales caught the imagination of the rugby public during the recent TikTok Six Nations with a record home crowd against Ireland and then sold out for the game against England at Cardiff Arms Park.

Ioan Cunningham’s side finished sixth in the world rankings after the TikTok Six Nations campaign and qualified for the Global Tier 1 WXV tournament in New Zealand in October.

Last month, the WRU announced a major investment and partnership in Women’s and Girls rugby to underpin the recent success of the Wales Women’s senior side.

Three new Player Development Centres (PDCs) – in East Wales, West Wales and North Wales – will support the development of high potential young players across Wales to help them achieve their ambition to be elite rugby players.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness