Jump to main content

St Peter’s remember cup shock 30 years ago

St Peter’s remember cup shock 30 years ago

St Peter's RFC

St Peter’s RFC have certainly marked the 30th anniversary of their most famous victory in style.

Share this page:

It was back in January 1993 that the Rocks pulled off arguably the biggest upset in Welsh Cup history when they beat Cardiff 16-14 at the Arms Park.

They were down in the third division at the time, while Alex Evans’ star-studded side were flying high at the top of the Premiership.

But it was St Peter’s who claimed the spoils in the Swalec Cup fifth round clash to send shock waves through Welsh rugby.

Now, three decades on, they have been creating some more memories. They have won the Division 1 East Central title to claim promotion to the Championship for the first time.

Moreover, their thirds lifted the Ron Lucock Cup on another happy day at the Arms Park, while the Youth team won their league.

So plenty to celebrate 30 years on from that legendary win over the Blue and Blacks.

Head Coach Chadd Mutyambizi said: “It was a nice way to mark the anniversary, a lot of the players from that 1993 team still come and watch week-in, week-out.
They recently had their reunion and a few of them were there to see us win the title.”

St Peter’s secured promotion by beating Rumney in a top-of-the-table clash in their penultimate league fixture and then sealed the title a week later with victory over Rhydyfelin.

“It went right down to the wire,” said Mutyambizi. “It has been a long season and it’s a tough league. There are no easy games. We were aiming for the top three or four at the outset, so we are very pleased with what we have achieved.”

Mutyambizi, who also coaches within the Cardiff Rugby regional age grade set-up, has been at the helm for two years now, having previously been with Cardiff Harlequins. He is assisted by former Wales full-back Justin Thomas, who looks after the backs and attack.

“When I took over, Justin was the first person I called,” he reveals. “I had worked with him at regional level and I knew what a great coach he was. You can see the respect the players have for the experience he brings in training and the way he advises them.”

St Peter’s can now look forward to their first Championship campaign, which will see them go up against the likes of Cross Keys, Bedwas, Bargoed and Ystrad Rhondda in the eastern section, as well as fellow Cardiff clubs Glamorgan Wanderers, Rumney and Cardiff Met.

Mutyambizi  added: “Everybody looks forward to the St Peter’s-Rumney games, it was nice for them to go up as well. This will be our first time in the Championship, but we aren’t going there just to make up the numbers. We are going there to be competitive.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness