Jump to main content

Gwent and Llandovery colleges put unbeaten records on line in #RTP24

Gwent and Llandovery colleges put unbeaten records on line in #RTP24

It's crunch time again for Coleg Gwent and Llandovery College in the WRU Schools U18 women's final

Scott Matthews will be urging his Coleg Gwent women’s team to ‘relax and enjoy’ their fourth consecutive WRU Welsh Schools U18 Cup final at Principality Stadium on Wednesday, 6 December (kick-off 5.15pm).

Share this page:

The reigning champions will be meeting familiar foes in Llandovery College in the second game in the WRU’s extensive ‘Road to Principality 2024’ jamboree, with both teams coming into the final showdown boasting unbeaten records. Something will have to give on the night, and Matthews doesn’t want pressure to affect performance.

“I still remember my first appearance at the stadium in the WRU Challenge Cup final with Cross Keys. It didn’t go well, and I didn’t enjoy it,” said Matthews, who doubles as the director of women’s rugby at the college and captain of Pontypool in the Indigo Premiership.

“When I went back last season with Pontypool, I told myself to calm down, not to make a big deal out of it and to enjoy the occasion. That’s the message I’ll be giving to my team.

“They have been fantastic all season and almost every one of the 23 will have played at Principality Stadium at one time or another for Coleg Gwent, Nelson Belles or a school side. This will be our fourth final in a row, and we’d like to make it four wins as well.”

Matthews has been in charge of the women’s rugby programme at the college ever since it started six years ago and has seen academy numbers rise from six to 41. It is fast becoming the best in Wales and is now branching out to play against similar colleges in England.

Last year they beat Llandovery College 17-0 with tries from Caitlyn Wilkes, Chloe Bradley and captain Molly Wakely. But that was only possible after they had withstood and almighty first half onslaught from Llandovery.

“We may have won all our games in this competition to date, but he all know our hardest test is yet to come. Llandovery have been excellent all season and pushed us all the way last year,” added Matthews.

As well as playing in the domestic tournament, Matthews has taken his side across the Prince of Wales Bridge and been pleased with the results to date.

“We’ve beaten Filton College and Oaklands College and got a draw against Exeter College. We’ve still got to play Hartpury and Loughborough,” said Matthews.

“It has been difficult to get games in Wales because of the size of our programme and the success we’ve had, but spreading our wings has been important for the players. They’ve come up against new teams, new players and been forced to dig deep to win.

“We’re really proud of the way the academy has progressed and we’ve already produced 13 Wales U18, three Wales U20 and six Wales Sevens internationals. More importantly, we like to think we’ve improved every player that has come into our programme by providing them with a professional and fun experience.”

It is a similar story at Llandovery College, where team manager Lowri Williams is now seeing the women’s rugby offering attracting players from outside Wales. That has long been the case on the men’s side at one of Welsh rugby’s greatest sporting nurseries, but now the sixth form entries are expanding on the women’s side as well.

Among their nine wins to date in the competition, Llandovery can point to four successes over Coleg Sir Gar. They beat them in the semi-final 32-10 to set-up a revenge mission with Coleg Gwent.

“Because we’ve had such a good season to date, we’re trying to keep everything as normal as possible. We aren’t doing anything different or special in the build-up to the final,” said Williams.

“If you keep doing what works for you, and stick to your tried and trusted processes, then you give yourself the best chance of getting the same outcome. It’s great that both the U18 boys and girls have reached their respective finals at Principality Stadium and we are all hoping for a great day out.

“There are about 10 players who featured in last season’s final still available for our matchday 23. We don’t have big numbers in our sixth form, only about 100 with both boys and girls, but we’ve had 30 girls playing for us this term from Years 11-13.

“We haven’t had to use any permits and all the girls keep going the extra mile. We’ve enhanced out programme with an S&C coach to help the girls become more powerful, and we’ve expanded our video analysis this season.”

Former Wales captain Carys Phillips is the most well-known women’s rugby player to come out of Llandovery College, while last season’s prop, and current co-captain, Stella Orri, has been snapped up by the Bristol Bears.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness