Jump to main content

Glantaf alumni backing ‘Class of 23’ to shine at Principality Stadium

Glantaf alumni backing ‘Class of 23’ to shine at Principality Stadium

The former pupils of Ysgol Glantaf were queueing up to be invited to hand out the jerseys to the WSC Rugby U18 Cup finalists who are hoping to make history at Principality Stadium on Wednesday, 6 December (7.30pm kick-off – live on S4C Clic).

Share this page:

Wales World Cup star Mason Grady offered his services, as did current Welsh internationals Ioan Lloyd and Teddy Williams. Cardiff Rugby wing Theo Cabango was another who wanted to get involved, while Wales centre Max Llewellyn is gutted he is away on European Challenge Cup duty with Gloucester.

Glantaf’s head coach Llywarch ap Myrddin was so bowled over by the interest shown by his alumni in being a part of the biggest day in their old school’s rugby history that he invited them all to meet the team and help hand out the jerseys ahead of the cup final clash with Llandovery College.

Teddy bWilliams watching Glantaf beat local rivals Whitchurch HS this season

It will be the first time two school teams have featured in the final of the WRU’s elite tournament for U18 schools and colleges, and whichever team wins will become the first school side to carry off the title.

“It’s great to see so many of our former pupils taking such pride in seeing the players who are following in their footsteps reaching the final. In the end, we invited them all to be a part of it, and they are all so excited,” said ap Myrddin.

“All the prep has been done and now we are all just looking forward to the day. There is no pressure on the players, and we want them to relax and express themselves.

“It is a chance for them to show how Good this Glantaf side can be. The semi-final performance and result against Coleg Sir Gar was very good and it was pleasing to see some of the work we had put in before the game come off on the night.”

For once, the Glantaf win was based on forward power, rather than free-flowing back play. The 15-year-old No 8 Tom Howe converted three driving line-outs into a hat-trick of tries in a magnificent 22-17 win at the Arms Park.

That earned the school a first trip to the home of Welsh rugby for a senior final since 1996. They won on that occasion and ap Myrddin insists that the ‘rugby DNA’ instilled into the school culture by Peter Manning, Huw Gat Llywelyn, Keri Evans and Dai Williams before he and Rhydian Garner teamed up as the coaching team that has taken the side to the final.

“The Glantaf rugby philosophy and culture is all about playing with a smile on your face, having a crack and expressing yourself. If it’s on, have a go – from wherever you are on the pitch,” added ap Myrddin.

“We’ve believed right from the start when the school was born 45 years ago that rugby is about entertainment and that our players should try to be entertainers. Everyone is expected to be able to run, pass, handle and sidestep – you aren’t constrained by the number on your back.”

The Robinson brothers, Jamie and Nicky, were the first to graduate into the Wales team from Glantaf, Huw Harries and Jason Hewlett became top professionals, and then came Jamie Roberts, Rhys Patchell and Seb Davies.

Rhys Patchell supporting the Glantaf side earlier in the season

Patchell helped out with some coaching earlier in the campaign before heading to New Zealand to play for the Highlanders. He has kept in touch with the team since he went down under and made his Hurricanes teammates watch the highlights of the semi-final win.

“Schoolboy rugby played a massive part in my rugby development, and it was a huge part of the culture at Glantaf. I still remember my time there with huge affection and feel incredibly proud the team has reached the final at Principality Stadium, said the 92 times capped, double Grand Slam centre, Roberts.

“I left school 19 years ago, but the rugby trips we went on to Dubai, Australia and South Africa were magnificent life-experiences for me and so many of my best friends. They were incredible opportunities and taught us so much about the true values of rugby.

“The rugby coaches and teachers we had at Glantaf molded us into the men we are. Keri Evans was a fantastic man who is unfortunately no longer with us. We all still remember him blowing his whistle and penalising us for ‘dull play’ when we took a wrong option or missed an opportunity.

“I’d have loved to have been at the game but, unfortunately, I’m flying to Australia on the same day. It’s great that so many of the recent top-class rugby products of the school are backing the current team.

“I looked up to the Robinson brothers in much the same way that the players in this side will be viewing Mason, Teddy, Max, Ioan, Seb and Theo. It would be great to see them win, especially if they stay true to the Glantaf rugby DNA.”

With five players in the Wales U18 training squad, another in the Scottish U18 system, and a side dedicated to respecting the history of their school, ap Myrddin is hopeful of overturning the three-point defeat they suffered at Llandovery College in the Conference A league programme.

“We came away from that game itching to have another go at them. Now we’ve got our chance,” added ap Myrddin.

“The change in format of the tournament this year has made a huge impact. Every week is hugely physical, the games have been far tighter, and it has forced the players to develop their game management and ability to play under pressure.”

YSGOL GLANTAF ROAD TO THE FINAL
22 November

Semi Final: Ysgol Glantaf 22-17 Coleg Sir Gâr

15 November
Ysgol Glantaf 29-17 Coleg Llandrillo

8 November
Coleg y Cymoedd 33-36 Ysgol Glantaf

25 October
Ysgol Glantaf 24-20 Coleg Sir Gâr

18 October
Cardiff & Vale College 16-19 Ysgol Glantaf

11 October