Jump to main content

Welsh School U18 Women’s Final – What they had to say!

Welsh School U18 Women’s Final – What they had to say!

Coleg Gwent celebrate their win

Coleg Gwent’s ‘Magnificent Seven’ tries earned them a fourth successive Welsh Schools U18 Women’s title at the Principality Stadium and extended their unbeaten run this season.

Share this page:

Star of the show for them was tight head prop Evie Hill, who bagged a try and was outstanding around the pitch as she helped her side to once again beat Llandovery in the final.

Evie Hill, Coleg Gwent player of the match
It doesn’t get better than that, that is what we have been working towards for a while, our biggest game of the season, so to come out with a win and play well as a team is the best feeling.

“We really work hard in training to identify our weaknesses and work on them and that is down to the coaches who work so hard for us. That is why we are getting better, showing that on the pitch.

“Fair play to Llandovery, what a cracking side, they finished first seed in the rounds and credit to them, but we deserved it on that pitch and hopefully it will set the standard for years after us.

“I am surrounded by such amazing players, it is such a competitive squad and we all work hard for our places, it is such a good team environment and hopefully it will keep getting better from here.”

Lowri Williams, Llandovery College team manager

“I’m proud of our girls, it did not go our way today, but they showed up in that second half. First half let us down a little bit, but they didn’t give in, and were still making big hits in the last minute of the game. That’s all I could have asked for.

“It would have been nice to get some points, but it was not our day. We will do our analysis, reflect on how we played and hopefully we will be in this position next year and we will get there.

“Fair play to Gwent, they had some really strong players, but we were lucky that 14 of the fifteen starting players are in the Scarlets Under 18s, but we are a really small school with seven or eight Year 11s in our squad today, so I am proud of all our players.”

Scott Matthews, Coleg Gwent director of rugby
“Obviously I am delighted for the girls. As an educational establishment we pride ourselves on making sure the girls have the same opportunities as the boys’ programme. To be fair, they put the effort in on the training field week in week out and they get their rewards, it is about building an environment they can be proud of, and they want to compete for each other.

“We had a lot of good players out there on the big stage which is pleasing. Player of the match Evie deserved it, she had got it all from a tighthead point of view and there are not many tightheads who can throw 20 metre passes at pace.

“It is great to see them enjoying the occasion, Llandovery as well who have been our competitors year upon year. These things do not last forever so you have to enjoy it while you can.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness