Jump to main content

Taylor heading to MLR with Seattle Seawolves

Taylor heading to MLR with Seattle Seawolves

Huw Taylor scores for RGC earlier this season

RGC 1404 have waved goodbye to their former Dragons lock Huw Taylor, who is heading to the United States to play for Seattle Seawolves in the Major League Rugby competition.

Share this page:

Taylor player as a player-coach throughout last season and the first half of the 2023-24 campaign and made a major impact at Parc Eirias. He sat out the last game, the home win over Cardiff, to ensure he arrives in Seattle with his wife in tip-top form.

The MLR season kicks off on 2 March, when the Seawolves meet San Diego Legion and Taylor is one of a number of new signings made by director of rugby, Allen Clarke.

“It was clear from my first meeting with Huw that he’d be a tremendous addition to the Seawolves, both from a ‘team first’ perspective, and with his versatility to perform in the back row and lock. I’m delighted to welcome Huw and his wife Kelly to the Seawolves Family,” said  Clarke, the former Ospreys head coach.

The Seawolves finished as runners-up to San Diego in the Western Conference last year, winning 12 of their 16 games. They then won the eliminator to reach the semi-finals, where they went down to a third defeat of the season to San Diego, 32-10.

Taylor will be joining a side that boasts former Wallaby centre Tevita Kuridrani and is led by South African-born USA back row international Riekert Hattingh, who was the club’s leading try scorer with 12 last season.

“Having played professional rugby for 10 years, I’ve had the opportunity to travel across Europe and South Africa. I recently married England rugby winger Kelly Smith, and we are both excited to by the opportunity to explore Seattle and contribute to the Seawolves winning the MLR Shield,” said Taylor.

“I really appreciate the opportunity given to me by Allen Clarke and I’m looking forward to throwing myself into it.”

The Welsh qualified Taylor made 52 appearances for the Dragons having learned his rugby at Worcester Warriors. Capped by England at U18 and U20 level, he was in the side that won the Junior World Championship U20 title in 2016.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness