Jump to main content

‘Dico’ gets win to celebrate 400th game for Ponty

‘Dico’ gets win to celebrate 400th game for Ponty

Chris Dicomidis is presented with a commemorative jersey by Pintypool skipper Scott Matthews to mark his 400th appearance

Chris Dicomidis was proud and emotional after marking his 400th Pontypridd appearance with a bonus-point win over Pontypool.

Share this page:

It had been an emotionally draining week for Dicomidis and his family, with Saturday’s game coming four days after his mother passed away following a short battle with cancer. But the talismanic second row put in a performance she would have been proud of.

Both sides formed a guard of honour as he walked out, alongside his two children, before kick-off, as Sardis Road rose to pay tribute to one of the club’s all-time greats. It is also where he has enjoyed some magic moments in a distinguished career for his beloved Pontypridd, that began with a debut as a teenager at Sardis Road against Caerphilly in December 2004.

“It feels like it’s been a long time coming; I’m proud not just for myself but for my family as well,” said Dicomidis.

Chris Dicomidis walks through the guard of honour with his children to mark his 400th appearance for Ponty

“The sacrifices they’ve had to make throughout the 19 years and the stuff I’ve to miss and everything else. But there’s people doing jobs and making a hell of a lot more sacrifices than us; I’m lucky I get to go out and do something I love week in, week out.”
Pooler made a positive start and it was they who drew first blood, ahead after 10 minutes thanks to a try from skipper Scott Matthews, after outside half Matthew Jarvis’ interception and pass had played him in. Jarvis missed with the conversion attempt.
Ponty responded through number eight Aled Ward, who powered over from the back of a scrum, with full-back Josh Phillips converting. Phillips himself then sneaked in down the left and finished off a quick move for the hosts’ second try which he was unable to convert.
A third Ponty try arrived before half time with hooker Rob Jones scoring after a rolling maul. Phillips’ conversion made it 19-5. Phillips kicked a penalty after the re-start and, after Matthews grabbed his and
Pooler’s second try, this time converted by Jarvis, another driving maul then led to a fourth and bonus point winning try for Ponty and a second for Jones, which Phillips improved.
Pooler were awarded a penalty try by referee Ben Breakspear before the hour, after flanker Sion Parry was adjudged to have brought down a maul and was yellow carded.
With time running out, replacement Morgan Lloyd spotted a gap in the dying seconds to score a fourth Pontypool try and bag two points in defeat for Leighton Jones’ men. Jarvis added the conversion.

“The boys put in a good shift. We let them back in a little bit in the second half, and they starved us of the ball, but I think that’s the first time this season we’ve beaten a team above us in the table,” added Dicomidis.

“That’s the monkey off our back so we’ve just got to keep going now and try and finish as high as we can up that table.”
Scorers: Pontypridd: Tries: R Jones (2), J Phillips, A Ward; Cons: J Phillips (3); Pen: J Phillips
Pontypool: Tries: S Matthews (2), Penalty try, M Lloyd; Cons: M Jarvis (2)

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness