Jump to main content

Butcher joins fund raising quest

Craig Maxwell

Craig Maxwell began his epic walk in North Wales

Former Welsh Rugby Union chairman Rob Butcher has joined the massed ranks of fund raisers supporting his former work colleague’s quest to navigate walking 576 miles and cycling 204 miles, a total of 780 miles, of the Wales coastal path.

Share this page:

Six Nations chief commercial officer Craig Maxwell was diagnosed with incurable and inoperable EGFR lung and bone cancer aged just 40 two years ago and has since gone on to courageously carry out inspirational charity endeavours to raise funds to help others.

His latest fundraising venture began last Wednesday in Chester where his entourage of fellow fundraisers began the gruelling event which will finish finish at Principality Stadium on Sunday 10th March for the Wales v France Guinness Six Nations match, where he will be accompanied by his children, Isla and Zach. They will have the honour of carrying the match ball onto the pitch.

“I’m determined to play my part as best I can and, as a consequence, will walk the Rhymney Valley en route to Principality Stadium on Sunday March 3rd,” said Butcher.

“The route will take in as many local and Mid District clubs as possible including Rhymney, Abertysswg, New Tredegar, Bargoed, Penallta and Caerphilly,” he added.

Craig Maxwell

Craig Maxwell will be joined by more than 500 walkers on his quest

So far 530 walkers have signed up to take part and helped Maxwell raised over £660,00 already. There are still spaces available on the following dates to take part;

Day 12 – Sun 25th Feb – Aberystwyth to Llandysul – Ryan Jones

Day 13 – Mon 26th Feb – Llandysul to Cardigan – Josh Navidi

Day 14 – Tues 27th Feb – Cardigan to Goodwick – Shane Williams & Liam Reardon

Day 16 – Thurs 29th Feb – St Davids to Nolton Corner – Ian Gough

Day 21 – Tues 5th Mar – Pendine to Carmarthen – Lauren Jenkins & Sir Andrew Strauss

Maxwell has been blown away with the support he has received so far.

“It’s been amazing, the different people joining me each day has really lifted us. It’s been hard, the rain on day three and four was just horrendous. We had to cut the mileage slightly short on those days purely because we were absolutely drenched. My shoes still haven’t dried out.

“But it has been amazing.- £660,00 raised and 530 walkers all signed up just takes my breath away. I’ve been lucky to meet a lot of people who are going through similar experiences like myself or their family members are going through something similar and I found that quite emotional.

“Quite a few times I have found that uplifting and emotional and it’s inspiring to hear their stories and hear how events such as this has helped them in the challenges they face as well, so thankyou to those people I have met on the journey.

“I’ve got a blister on my right foot that is really painful but apart from that I am doing ok. I’m looking forward to the weekend as it’s my birthday on Saturday and my wife and kids are coming up.

Thanks everyone for the support and I look forward to seeing you soon.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness