Jump to main content

Rhian’s bitter sweet rugby life

Rhian’s bitter sweet rugby life

Rhian Roberts and Alys a member of Stryd i'r Sgrym's T1 team.

Rugby can change people’s lives – and Rhian Roberts from Drefach in Carmarthenshire knows that more than most people.

Share this page:

In 2018, Rhian came on as a late replacement for Piod Pinc in a friendly match – and unfortunately suffered a serious injury. She was told that she’s never walk again.

But the mother of two is made of stronger stuff – and she’s defied the medical prognosis and has taught herself how to walk once again.

She has also joined Scott Quinnell’s coaching team for the S4C ‘Stryd i’r Sgrym’ (Street to Scrum) programme which introduces the simplified version of T1 rugby to a cross section of Welsh society.

Before the latest episode of the series which will be aired on S4C tonight at 9.00pm – Rhian Roberts was invited to attend a Welsh Rugby training session and even met Head Coach Warren Gatland.

Rhian has also began a formal Coaching Course with the Welsh Rugby Union.

Geraint John, WRU’s Community Director said: “ Rhian’s story is amazing. The fact that she can walk again and has started her coaching career speaks volumes about her character.”

Rhian Robers said: “If it wasn’t for the children – I’d still be in a wheelchair. On the other hand – had I not had the accident I might not have seen the squad training. It was wonderful to meet Warren Gatland and I’m really enjoying the start of my journey as a coach. There’s no doubt that things have been bitter sweet over the past few years – but rugby is in my blood – always has been and always will.”

Stryd i’r Sgrym

Tuesday – S4C – 9.00pm

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness