Jump to main content

New T1 format on S4C series has changed lives

New T1 format on S4C series has changed lives

The squad preparing to play the game of their lives at the home of London Welsh.

S4C’s Stryd i’r Sgrym series reaches its climax tomorrow night (Tuesday) as Scott Quinnell’s squad play their first competitive T1 game against their experienced English counterparts.

Share this page:

The Welsh squad – of mixed abilities – was assembled for the S4C series 3 months before the big game at Old Deer Park in London – to highlight the simplicity and appeal of the new T1 format of the game.

Members of the squad have faced challenging times in their personal lives before reconnecting with rugby through their involvement with the series.

Siân from Flintshire said: “Everyone’s become very close over the past three months. We’ve all learned that this is a game for one and all which is really important.”

Lucy from Pontypridd added: “We all come from different parts of Wales – but we’re all members of the same family now. This will be an experience that I’ll never forget.”

Scott Quinnell has been the squad’s Head Coach throughout the Stryd i’r Sgrym series on S4C.

Former Wales captain, Siwan Lillicrap has been a member of Scott Quinnell’s coaching team during the series and she confirms that sharing the emotional journey with the squad members  has been truly worthwhile: “They’ve worked so hard on the training field – but more than anything they’ve created a great impression on my life over the past three months.”

The Welsh Rugby Union’s Community Director Geraint John, who was present at Old Deer Park for the big game added: “This squad has proven that T1 is a simple and exciting development in our sport. It’s a game for everyone and I’m sure that the popularity of T1 Rugby will grow very quickly.”

As the series draws to a close, the Head Coach Scott Quinnell has the final word regarding the experience of leading the Stryd i’r Sgrym (Street to Scrum) squad: “I hope that everyone who’s taken part in the series will implement the positivity that they’ve shown as members of this squad – into every other aspect of their lives. As their coach, I’m immensely proud of each and every one of them – and everyone in Wales should be proud of the Stryd i’r Sgrym class of 2024 as well.”

Stryd i’r Sgrym – S4C  9.00pm Tuesday. 5th March 2024.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness