Jump to main content

Llangennech on the rise after big home win

Llangennech on the rise after big home win
Share this page:
Llangennech are also now assured of a promotion spot from Admiral Championship West after defeating in-form Newcastle Emlyn 28-0.

Ian Jones’ side ran in two converted tries in the first half to lead 14-0 at the break and then backed that up with a further two converted scores in the second period to bag another bonus point victory – over an Emlyn side that had won seven on the bounce coming into the contest.

Outside half Steff Marshall, lock Sam Richards, inside centre Joseph Hutchings and number eight Jordan Saunders were the try scorers with Marshall successfully adding the extras to all four.

The win takes Llangennech into second and on to 73 points with four league fixtures to play and crucially, also means that although sixth-placed Newcastle Emlyn catch still technically catch them mathematically, fifth placed Dunvant cannot.

Dunvant, who have three fixtures remaining, can reach 66 points. Emlyn with five to play can still reach 73 with maximum points.
Llangennech will be one of the five teams promoted from Championship West into next season’s 13-team community Premiership and will be in the same division as the likes of Pontypridd and Merthyr.
“I’m immensely proud of the whole club and what this group of players has achieved,” said Llan head coach Jones.
“Considering we’re a small village team, to come in this league and compete in the way that we have has been down to the hard work and insistent work of a group of players and committee, who are all working together towards a common goal.
“As a head coach, I’m very fortunate that I’ve got an excellent coaching team around me, and more than that I’ve got a fabulous young group of players who are eager and very keen to produce good rugby week in, week out.”
West division leaders Narberth cemented their own promotion spot last week.  The only other scheduled Championship fixture over the weekend was due to take place in the East division at Beddau, but their home clash with current leaders Cardiff Met was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness