Jump to main content

Langdon chasing cup hat-trick with Blaina at #RTP24

Langdon chasing cup hat-trick with Blaina at #RTP24

Dai Langdon playing for Neath in the 2022 Championship Cup final

Dai Langdon has a unique hat-trick in mind as he prepares to steer Blaina to Division 3 Cup glory at Principality Stadium on Saturday, 6 April.

Share this page:

It will be the third year in a row the former Wales U20 outside half has been to a National Cup final at the home of Welsh rugby, each with a different club.

In 2022, he was at centre when Neath came back to beat Bargoed in the Championship Cup final and he picked up another winner’s medal in the same tournament as a replacement for Pontypool against Ystrad Rhondda. He also reached the 2009 WRU Challenge Cup final with Neath when they lost to Pontypridd.

Now the 35-year-old is hoping to keep his recent winning streak going when Blaina, currently sitting second in Division 3 East, meet Cardiff Quins, who are three points outside the promotion places in third in Division 3 East Central.

Dai Langdon playing for Wales U20 in 2009

Langdon has scored well over 125 points for his latest club this season – he has played for Cross Keys, Ebbw Vale, Neath and Pontypool in the past – and was bang on target when he was needed most in the semi-final against Bryncethin in Penarth. The Lambs eventually edged out last season’s Division 4 Cup winners and Division 4 West Central league champions with Langdon kicking four penalties in a 12-7 triumph.

“We’ve had a tough run of games to get to the final and now we’ve reached Principality Stadium we just want to make the most of the opportunity and to enjoy the occasion,” said Langdon.

“I know from bitter experience how it feels to lose in a final at the home of Welsh rugby. More importantly, I know what it would mean to the club and the community in Blaina if we can win.

“Blaina is a very famous club – 150 years old next year – that is emerging from some tough times. I’ve played at a lot of clubs during my career, but there is such a strong bond between club and community here.

“We’ve got about nine bus loads coming down to Cardiff for the final and the players just want to put on a show for them. I would be an amazing feeling to win with this team.”
Unbeaten in their last 12 league and cup games stretching back to 30 September, Blaina also have promotion, and a possible league and cup double, in their sights. They just have to keep on winning

“We’ve lost two of our first four games in the league, against Abercarn and Machen, but haven’t been beaten since. There is a chance that if we win all of our remaining six-games we could win the league,” said proud team manager, Craig Edwards.

“We’ve had to dig deep to get to the final and it was a really tight affair against Bryncethin. Last year we were pipped by a point in the quarter finals by Fairwater and after that our season dwindled away.

“This season is different. Dai Langdon has come in and not only played superbly at No 10, but also contributed to the coaching. We’re competing on all fronts and hoping to go to Principality Stadium and win the cup to kick-start our 150th anniversary celebrations next season.

“As soon as we had won the semi-final we filled almost six supporters’ buses, and it is going to be a great day out for the whole town. This is the best team we’ve had for a number of years, and we’ve got a growing squad of very good players.”

Edwards son, Coby, is the top try scorer so far this season and uses his near 20 stone frame to good advantage in the midfield. He is following in his footsteps o his father, who made more than 300 appearances for the club and was also captain.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness