Jump to main content

Condy wants Bulls to take no Cup baggage into #RTP24 final

Condy wants Bulls to take no Cup baggage into #RTP24 final

Jack Condy in action for Scarlets

Jack Condy was an uncompromising forward who was making waves with the Scarlets when his playing career was brought to a crunching halt by knee problems at the age of 23.

Share this page:

That was six years ago, and he’s just had a sixth operation on his right leg. The back-rower turned to coaching and started with Penallta before spending a season as forwards coach at Cross Keys.

Condy was appointed head coach at Bargoed for this campaign and they are chasing a Championship League and Cup double – facing Ystrad Rhondda in the final of the latter at the Principality Stadium on Sunday.

He is a full-time coach, being employed by the Dragons and working with their academy players, and, is regarded as one to watch in influential rugby circles.

The 29-year-old explained his methodology. “I wanted to put my own stamp on a few things at Bargoed. I changed the dynamic of the way we play and the systems, and it’s gone really well.

“It was good for the players – they have had to learn, which keeps their minds fresh. By the numbers at training, I think it has been a success and we have been able to field a second team. There’s a great social side at the club and it’s full each weekend.”

Bargoed are second in the Championship table, six points behind Cardiff Met, who they beat recently in a high-scoring thriller but have three games in hand.

“There’s an opportunity to do the double. Bargoed lost to Neath in the cup final two years ago. There are only eight boys still involved from that fixture, which is good because there won’t be much baggage,” said Condy.

He pointed to 21-year-old hooker Morgan Edwards, who joined from Nelson this season after being recommended, as a player to watch. Flanker Jarrad Llewellyn is captain, the hugely experienced James Leadbetter is at scrum half while there’s more quality with Duane Dyer, the brother of Wales wing Rio Dyer, Keagan Bale, Kieron Brown, Calum Jones, Josh Prosser and Dylan Williams.

“I played with Liam Williams at the Scarlets and have to say Dylan Williams is a great talent at full-back. He’s 23 and good in the air … I’d say he’s ‘Liam-esque’ at times,” said Condy.

His most memorable outing for the Scarlets was when he came on early in a Boxing Day derby against the Ospreys in Llanelli after Scotland star John Barclay was injured.

“I grew up supporting the Ospreys, when they had the likes of Jerry Collins, Marty Holah, Justin Marshall, Shane Williams, Lee Byrne, Tommy Bowe, Ryan, Alun Wyn, Adam and Duncan Jones … they were the Galacticos. To play against Ospreys in front of a full house was special,” added Condy.

“I’ve never had nerves like I suffered warming up before kick-off with the stadium already rammed. We lost but it was an occasion I won’t forget.”

Condy hopes Sunday’s Championship final with Ystrad Rhondda will be another. “They’re a good club and are well-drilled. They have really good blokes coaching at the club and have some good players.

“They will be hurting from losing in last year’s final and are dangerous. It’s important we control the emotion and don’t suffer a backlash from Ystrad for what happened to them last season.”

Bargoed will be cheered on by seven bus loads of supporters with many others hopping on the train for the trip to the Welsh capital. A number of players have come through the club’s age-grade set-up, which starts at junior level.

The Bargoed Youth team have also been to the home of Welsh rugby this season, but Condy is hoping for a happier result than they enjoyed

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness