Jump to main content

Jones looking to uphold Llandovery’s cup final tradition

Jones looking to uphold Llandovery’s cup final tradition

Llandovery skipper Jack Jones celebrates winning the Indigo Premiership title last season.

Jack Jones has a big tradition to carry on at Llandovery when he leads his side out against Merthyr in the WRU Premiership Cup final at Principality Stadium.

Share this page:

The Drovers skipper will be in charge when they defend an unbeaten record in cup finals having previously beaten Cardiff 2018 in 2007 and Carmarthen Quins 25-18 in 2016. Where Arwel Davies and Luke Lewis led before in picking up the cup, so Jones now hopes to follow suit.

If he is able to do so, then he we keep his side on course for a momentous season. They are already in the play-offs to defend their Indigo Premiership title and are one win away from securing a home semi-final.

But Jones, a former Wales U20 lock, has a more personal reason to try to pick up a winners’ medal in the final game of seven club finals over a magnificent weekend of rugby at Principality Stadium. His grandfather was a winner in the first WRU Challenge Cup final in 1972 and his father also reached the final.

In that inaugural final at the old National Ground, legendary Wales lock Brian Thomas was at the heart of the Neath pack that beat Llanelli to become the first winners. Now it is his grandson’s turn to take centre stage.

“It would be super for the family if we could get hold of the same cup as mum’s dad Brian held in his hands back in 1972 when he was a vital cog in the Neath triumph,” Jones told Walesonline.

“I never saw him play, but everyone down Neath way has vivid memories of the power, strength and astuteness of his play. I only hope that it has rubbed off a little on me.

“He always took a keen interest in my game from an early age before he passed away in 2012 and watched me when I was at Llandovery College and then in the Premiership with Swansea.

“Just after grandpa’s death it was a thrill to play for Neath against Cambridge University in a game to celebrate the great influence he had both on Neath and the university, where he won three Blues in the 1960s.

“My mum and dad have also given me unflinching encouragement throughout my career and I owe all the family a lot for their ever- continuing support.

“Llandovery and their coaches, committee and supporters have been great to me ever since I joined them in 2017 and it would be an honour for me to lead the club to a cup triumph.”

Jones father, Robin, played in the Neath side that lost 29-22 to Pontypridd in the 1996 final. While it will Jones junior’s his first final, he will have five players alongside him who played in the 2016 win – Aaron Warren, Rhodri Jones, Stuart Worrall, Lee Rees and Jack Maynard.

Wales and British & Irish Lions prop Wyn Jones was a try score in that final and the Drovers will have another Wales cap in their line-up against Merthyr in centre Adam Warren, who is playing inside his brother Aaron.

Merthyr were cup winners in 2018 but lost to Cardiff the following year. Craig Locke led The Ironmen into both finals and is back for another tilt at the title in what will be a record equaling eight cup final appearance.

There were 5,665 fans at the four finals on Saturday, 6 April and with Glynneath emptying their village with 16 busloads of fans for their Division 1 final clash with Llanelli Wanderers there are likely to be even more at the three games on Sunday, 7 April.

DIVISION 1 CUP FINAL – LLANELLI WANDERERS V GLYNNEATH (1.00PM)

Llanelli Wanderers: Lewis Jones; Owain Davies, Nick Gale, Rhydian Morgan, Jac Hart; Jonathan George, Josh Weeds; Keelan Jewell, Rhodri Owens (captain), Gareth Havard, Steffan Phillips, Ryan Evans, Ben Chiffi, Caine Rees-Jones, Lloyd Pike
Reps: Dyfan Watkins, Nicky Frampton, Ben Harries, Elis Evans, Ben Phillips, Elgan Morgan, Kyle Richards, Jacob Williams

Glynneath: Jordan Griffiths; Harri Morgan, Jed O’Reilly, Sam Harris, Aled Evans (captain); Dylan Francis, Scott Hawkins; Owain Watts, Craig Tennant, Gareth Hall, Jonny Griffiths, Arwel Davies, Shaun Tennant, James Parry, Luke Weaver
Reps: Adam Nation, Rhodri Evans, James Vardon, Conor McMenamin, Josh Morris, Owen Kennerley, Jayden Burton, Joe Hughes

CHAMPIONSHIP CUP FINAL – BARGOED V YSTRAD RHONDDA (3.15PM)

Bargoed: Dylan Williams; Ashley Norton, Ollie Andrews, Callum Jones, David Evans; Josh Prosser, James Leadbetter; Kieron Brown, Morgan Edwards, Keegan Bale, Geraint Edmunds, James Locke, Owain Cooper, Rhys Stephens, Lewis Robey
Reps: Tom Bainton, Matthew Lewis, Jordan Howells, Keaton Davies, Jason James, Kyle Bailey, Josh Parry, Morgan Thomas

Ystrad Rhondda: Josh Williams; Alex Webber, Cavan Davies, Cole Morgan, Kurtis Williams, Rhys Truelove, Callum Phillips; Tom Foulkes, Corben Evans, Jordan Pritchard, Nathan Hughes, Thomas John, Mason Roderick, Jarrad Llewellyn (captain), Kelly Jones
Reps: Tom Stacey, David Webb, Jack Dauncey, Morgan Burgess, Rhys Dauncey, Lucus Welch, Ryan Evans, Lewis Williams

PREMIERSHIP CUP FINAL – MERTHYR V LLANDOVERY (5.35PM)

Merthyr: Morgan Meaclem; Lloyd Rowlands, Cole Swannack, Morgan Sieniawski, Adam Hoskins; Josh Lewis, James Soanes; Callum Lewis, Ellis Shipp, Rhys Lewis, Craig Locke, Paddy McBride (captain), Lennon Greggains, Jack Perkins, Thomas Jevons
Reps: Ben Rhodes, Travis Hawkins, Dave Whiting, Callum Bradbury, Kian Evans, Ethan Lloyd, Gareth Thompson, Rhys Davies

Llandovery: Harri Doel; Kian Aabraham, Adam Warren, Rhodri Jones, Aaron Warren; Ioan Hughes, Lee Rees; Jamie Hughes, Taylor Davies, Berian Watkins, Jack Jones (captain), Chris Long, Osian Davies, Stuart Worrall, ⁠Joe Powell
Reps: Dino Dallavalle, Craig Thomas, Llyr Green, Nathan Hart, ⁠Jordan Evans, Macs Page, Jack Maynard, Dafydd Land

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness