Jump to main content

Ystrad ready to go one better than last year at #RTP24

Ystrad Rhondda

Ystrad Rhondda lost out to Pontypool in last year's WRU National Championship Final

Ystrad Rhondda are brimming with confidence ahead of their Championship Cup final clash with Bargoed at Principality Stadium.

Share this page:

They were beaten 28-16 by unbeaten Pontypool in last season’s final and player-coach Alex Webber, a Wales Sevens international, believes the lessons learned from that showdown will stand them in good stead.

“We’ve got a little bit more experience. There won’t be as many nerves among those who were there last year – it was quite emotional for some of the older guys,” said Webber.

“I’ve been thinking about it quite a lot. Last year it was very much a ‘David v Goliath’ battle, a shot to nothing with Pontypool being unbeaten.

“This year is a bit different as we beat Bargoed at the start of the season and they defeated us over Christmas at their place. We want to play rugby and we’ve caused Bargoed big problems when we have played them.

“We’ve got to be quite confident. Last year, it was a little bit of ‘let’s enjoy the day’ and have a crack at them. This time it’s a 50-50 game. We can go out and win it – the boys are excited by the challenge, and it will be a different Ystrad Rhondda side to the one who played at Bargoed. It could come down to whoever handles the occasion the better.”

Former Pontypridd wing Webber, who was on the World Sevens circuit with Wales between 2012-15, will be in action after a long spell out with a foot injury. Injuries have been a thorn during his career.

“I was only 19 when I started and looking back, I think I should have worked a bit harder. I had a brilliant time, but I was plagued by injuries,” said Webber.

“I had two groin operations and knee surgery. I couldn’t shake off the injuries. With sevens there’s so much running and the body needs time to adapt to the distances covered.

“I wasn’t ready for it. I went from being a club player to becoming an elite athlete and my body just couldn’t cope with it.”

Ystrad Rhondda, who have junior teams, a youth side and a second XV, are taking four busloads of supporters to Cardiff with others making their own way.

Former Wales and British & Irish Lion prop Mike Griffiths and ex-coach Dylan Jones presented the team with their its jerseys for the final at a ceremony on Thursday night.

It will be a special day for second row Nathan Hughes, 39, who has played 420 times for Ystrad and is due to hang up his boots at the end of the season.

“He’s a massive servant of the club. He’s been here since he was 18 and we’d like to mark the occasion with a win for him,” said Webber.

Prolific outside-half Rhys Truelove has appeared in excess of 250 times and piled up more than 1,000 points while twin brothers Rhys and Jack Dauncey are all set to start.

Rhys Truelove kicking Ystrad to victory over Newcastle Emlyn in the 2015 Plate final

“They’re definitely not identical. Jack is a tighthead prop and is about 20st while Rhys plays in the back row and is like a twig,” added Webber.

“We have had a lot of injuries this season but a couple of lads who are influential players have come back at the right time and are fully fit for the final.”

Now all they have to do is gel together to make it a double dose of misery for Bargoed, who were beaten by Neath at Principality Stadium two years ago in the Championship final.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness