Jump to main content

Howell hoping to upset odds to make it a cup double for Seven Sisters

Howell hoping to upset odds to make it a cup double for Seven Sisters

Bethan Howell on the charge for Wales against England in 2013

Seven Sisters are bidding to shrug off underdog status and make it two out of two for the club at the Principality Stadium this season when they clash with Llandaff North in the WRU Women’s National Cup final on the final day of #RTP24.

Share this page:

The Seven Sister’s men’s team proudly lifted the Division 5 Cup with former Wales scrum-half Tavis Knoyle named player of the match following a hard-fought victory over Dinas Powys earlier this month.

Now the women’s team stalwart Bethan Howell, who has played international rugby for Wales and Wales Deaf, wants her side to follow suit. A driving force behind the setting up of the club’s women’s section 17 years ago, she is still going strong and will pack down at tight-head prop against Llandaff North.

“I’m a born and bred Seven Sisters girl. My uncle, Brian Howell, played 800 + games for the club and was captain for 13 years,” said Bethan, a schoolteacher in Treorchy.

“I was a student at Bath Spa University back in 2007 and was in the clubhouse at Seven when I said I wish we had a women’s section. That’s where and when it all started.

“We had our first match, against the university, on 17 March 2007. I played in it for Bath and have played for the university and Seven Sisters in subsequent fixtures.”

Seven Sisters defeated Nelson Belles 48-24, Burry Port 45-14 and Caernarfon, in the semi-finals, 40-12, en-route to Saturday’s (27 April) Women’s final.

They are second in the Women’s Premiership table, behind Llandaff North, who beat them 46-17 earlier in the season and are undefeated this campaign.

“We got stuffed against them last September, so we are going in as the underdogs,” admitted Howell.

“They’ve got pace out wide, and we need to dominate up front – that’s what we are targeting. We have done our analysis and have prepared well.”

Flanker Mel Gnojek, the granddaughter of former Neath scrum-half Carl Gnojek, full back Kayleigh Powell, outside half Rachel Rees, who has played internationally for Wales Sevens, United States centre Jami Davies and scrum-half Hannah Jones, are among those to watch.

Howell, who is a coach alongside Owen Nesbitt, has sold 200 tickets. Some supporters will travel to Cardiff by bus, while others will be making their own way by car for the evening kick-off.

Llandaff North are happy to be given the tag of favourites with centre Claudia Meyrick-Ward saying: “We have had a really good season and are unbeaten, so we have got to be confident.”

Llandaff North women after a recent win over Ynysddu

It’s the Cardiff club’s third consecutive final – they beat Bonymaen in 2022 but suffered defeat to Pontyclun Falcons in a thrilling game last year. Llandaff North are coached by Tom Rogers, Nia Jones, Chris Parker and Rob Sweetman.

“Everybody has brought into what the coaches want us to do. We all back each other and just enjoy it,” added Meyrick-Ward.

No 8 Ffion Revill and flanker Cerys Ballet have been in fine form and Meyrick-Ward is delighted to be running out at Welsh rugby’s headquarters for a third time.

“The ground brings the best out of people. Pre-match there are nerves, but once you are out there and the game starts, you just want to enjoy it,” she said.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness