Jump to main content

Page and Warren chasing more silverware with Drovers

Page and Warren chasing more silverware with Drovers

Adam Warren and Macs Page helped Llandovery win the Premiership Cup last month

Wales U20 centre Macs Page has certainly had plenty of experienced heads to learn from this season at both the Scarlets and Llandovery.

Share this page:

Training alongside the likes of Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Johnny Williams and Joe Roberts at the Scarlets has helped him grow in confidence, while lining up alongside another Welsh international in the midfield at Llandovery has been equally beneficial.

Adam Warren trod the same pathway that the teenage Page is now travelling as he graduated from Llandovery to the Scarlets Academy, Wales U20 to Wales Sevens, Scarlets to Dragons and his one Welsh cap.

Now 33, Warren is in his second season back in the Indigo Premiership since stepping down from professional rugby. It has been a highly successful switch for him, helping the Droves to win the Indigo Premiership title last season, the WRU Premiership Cup last month and finishing top of the Premiership table last week to earn a home semi-final clash with Cardiff this weekend (Saturday, 4 May).

Adam Warren, left, and Macs Page ahead of the Indigo Premiership semi-final clash with Cardiff

Now Page is hoping to get a chance to make it back-to-back league titles by joining Warren is the back line against the Blue & Blacks, in what is a repeat of last year’s final, and then potentially in next week’s final against the winners of the other semi-final clash between Newport and Ebbw Vale.

While Warren and the equally experienced Rhodri Jones are the established centre pairing for head coach Euros Evans, Page has picked up nine starts in 16 games with the Drovers this season. He kicked off the season with two friendly appearances for the Scarlets and featured in all five Wales U20 games during the Six Nations.

“I really love playing here at Llandovery and it’s been good for me learning off people like Adam, who has been a pro for a long time. I’ve been able to take a lot from being around people like him and Rhodri,” said Page.

“At the Scarlets I’ve been so lucky being able to watch, listen and learn from the likes of Jonathan, Scott and Johnny this season and they have all been very helpful. It has been exactly the same here with Adam, and I feel I’ve had the best of both worlds.

“It has really helped me playing with experienced people all the time. The best way for me to grow as a player is to learn off other people who’ve been there and done it before me.

“The best thing for a young player is just to play as much as you can and to keep on learning. I haven’t been part of a club that is so much part of the community as here at Llandovery – everyone is very friendly and close.”

Warren is heavily involved in the pathway system in Welsh rugby having returned to play for the Drovers alongside taking up a two-year role as backs and S&C coach at Llandovery College. He made an immediate impact at the College, helping them to win the WSC Rugby U18 title at Principality Stadium for the first time this season.

He will carry on playing in the new Elite Domestic Competition with the Drovers next season and is loving his ‘senior pro’ role at the club.

“Macs has brought a real X-Factor to the club with his speed and footwork and has obviously got a promising pro career ahead of him,” said Warren.

“He certainly keeps us all on our toes in training and our goal is to help him develop as fast and as well as he can. I’m loving my time here so far, really enjoying it, and I see part of my role as bringing through Macs and the other youngsters.”

While Warren will be looking forward to putting his feet up after the semi-final or final, Page still has the World Rugby Junior Championships in South Africa to aim at in June. Hoping to join him at the tournament are two more Scarlets academy players who have benefitted from playing at Church Bank this season, hooker Harry Thomas and centre Gabe McDonald

Macs Page mesmerizing the England U20 defence

“I played under Llandovery coach Euros Evans at Coleg Sir Gar and then after the college league, I was placed here by the Scarlets. It’s been really good for me since I got here,” added Page.

“The last few months have been exciting – winning a trophy and then topping the league with these boys has been great. Hopefully, over the next couple of weeks we can go on to win the title again.

“My aim is to break into the Scarlets team, but I understand it’s a process and it’s not going to happen straightaway. It’s going to be a journey and it’s going to be about me taking my chances.

“I enjoyed it although it was a bit frustrating at the start because I was on the bench. But there were two very good centres ahead of me, so it was about taking my opportunity when it came along.

“I think it’s more physical in the Premiership, but it’s a faster game with the U20s. The advice I’ve had from Adam is just to back myself, really, and have fun.

“Seeing how people like Adam play, they are just full of confidence. I can learn off them and then hopefully bring that into my game.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness