Jump to main content

Condy moves up coaching ladder at Dragons academy

Condy moves up coaching ladder at Dragons academy

Jack Condy

Championship league and cup winners Bargoed are saying goodbye to coach Jack Condy as he moves on a position as senior coach at the Dragons academy.

Share this page:

Condy helped to transform Bargoed’s playing style throughout last season and steered them to the Championship East title with 18 points to spare over nearest rivals Cardiff Met. They also won the Championship Cup final at Principality Stadium, scoring nine tires as they beat Ystrad Rhondda 65-12.

An uncompromising back row forward who was making waves with the Scarlets, his professional playing career was brought to a cruel halt by knee problems at the age of 23. That was six years ago, and he’s just had a sixth operation on his right leg.

He turned to coaching and started with former club Penallta before spending a season as forwards coach at Cross Keys. He was appointed head coach at Bargoed for the 2023-24 campaign and doubled up by working with the academy players at the Dragons.

“I wanted to put my own stamp on a few things at Bargoed. I changed the dynamic of the way we play and the systems, and it went really well,” said Condy of his time at Bargoed.

“It was good for the players – they have had to learn, which keeps their minds fresh. By the numbers at training, I think it was a success and we were able to field a second team.”

The players loved the new approach and their performance at Principality Stadium showed the freedom they had been given to play and express themselves, with wing Ashley Norton scoring four times.

“Jack leaves with the support and best wishes of the whole club. He addressed the players, coaches, committee and supporters at a meeting,” Bargoed said in a statement.

“We wish Jack all the best in his new role and it’s great to see him progressing on his coaching journey down the road in the professional environment of the Dragons.

“There is no doubt that he will thrive and add significant value in his new role at the Dragons. Well done and thank you for all your hard work. We are proud to have played a small part in your development on your coaching journey.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness