Jump to main content

Hansen braced for Wales’ ‘A’ team

Hansen braced for Wales’ ‘A’ team

New Zealand coach Steve Hansen is expecting the Wales ‘A’ team to provide a stiff test at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday as the All Blacks seek their third Grand Slam in five years.

Share this page:

Wales played out a disappointing 16-16 draw with Fiji last Friday evening which drew widespread criticism throughout the Principality.

However Hansen, a former Welsh coach, says he wasn’t surprised by the backlash Warren Gatland’s players received after their below par performance against the South Sea Islanders.

“I am not at all surprised by the criticism Wales have faced,” he said. “I think expectations have risen over the last few years and rightly so, they have won a couple of Six Nations Grand Slams and they are a good side.

“I think the public have every right to be disappointed, as you would expect Wales to beat Fiji. The players and coaches would have expected that too.

“They will be dangerous, anybody that has been put under the spotlight and criticism they have faced will be.

“Remember that performance came from a few people that won’t be playing on Saturday, I think they had made nine changes last week.

“So the ‘A’ team will come out on Saturday after being criticised for the performance of the ‘B’ team. They are very abrasive and up until this tour they have been one of the few northern hemisphere sides that want to play rugby. We will have to be right on our game.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness