Jump to main content

Wales duo plan returns to rugby

Wales duo plan returns to rugby

Owen will go under the knife to repair a damaged shoulder on August 11, and with an expected recuperation period of 12 weeks, he aims to return to the Millennium Stadium to face France on March 18.

Owen admitted he was ‘absolutely gutted’ when he learned he will miss the Autumn Internationals. but is holding out hope for a rooney-esqe recovery/

“I am still holding out a bit of a hope that I might be able to get back ahead of schedule, I desperately want to be involved with Wales and I’d love to play some part in the autumn internationals. I won’t give up on that yet.”

Owen, who has 33 caps and missed the 2003 World Cup with a back injury, is trying to be practical about his chances of an early return.

“I’ve got to make sure the shoulder is right. So the Six Nations is probably a more realistic goal.

“I had the problem with it all year and it was a case of trying to get it right. Hopefully this will be the last operation I will have.”

Owen’s fellow Grand Slam winning forward Sidoli is also planning a return, after a lay off of a different kind.

The Cardiff Blues lock took a summer break from international rugby, missing the tour to Argentina. But now Sidoli is back, and says he feels better than ever.

“It’s my first pre-season since 2001 and I feel better for it,” he said. “I’ve had a good summer’s training after having the chance to unwind.

He revealed his goal is “to be involved in everything Wales do”, but admitted he would have his work cut out to regain his place.

“Alun Wyn Jones is also very talented and very fit. He had a good tour of Argentina.

“And then there is ‘Cobbers’ (Cockbain). I know how much he’s looking forward to playing again after a long break and he is going to be full of enthusiasm.

“When you consider Goughie’s in there as well then we’re well covered”

With this strength in depth, Sidoli believes Wales chances of success lie in their own hands.

He added: “Our season can be as big as we make it”