Jump to main content

Roger Lewis plays on Boxing Day

Roger Lewis plays on Boxing Day

Roger Lewis is President of Cefn Cribbwr RFC and fulfilled a promise to play for the Past XV in one of the longest running Christmas fixtures in the Welsh rugby calendar.

Share this page:

Not only did the fifty-two year old help steer the golden oldies to a convincing 50-35 victory but he also had the pleasure of playing against his two teenage sons, Tom and Owen. Lewis played the whole match in the back row and was forced to receive lengthy treatment at one stage after taking a heavy tackle.

“It was great to put my boots back on again and I was delighted to be able to play against my two boys,” said Lewis. “I thought I would be able to stay out of trouble by playing in the back row, but I took one heavy hit and was pleased to leave the field in one piece in the end.

“Fixtures like these are the lifeblood of Welsh rugby. Boxing Day matches fill clubhouses and prove year in, year out that Welsh rugby clubs are at the very heart of their communities.

“Cefn Cribbwr may be playing in one of the lowest divisions of the ASDA Leagues system, but they still have a vital role to play in the success of our national sport. There was only one place to be for everyone in the village on Boxing Day morning and that was at the rugby club.”

Lewis’s side contained players of all ages. At fifty-two he was one of the youngest in a Past XV boasting seventy-two year old, Bev Davies, sixty-six year old past President, Tony Williams and fifty-eight year old baggage man, Terry Wilmott.

One of Lewis’s team mates, Gareth Davies, flew home from Jersey to play in the match.

“We have been playing this fixture on Christmas Day or Boxing Day for the past sixty years,” explained club stalwart, Emyr Jenkins. “It has become one of those not to be missed occasions for everyone in the village and the post match celebrations have become one of the fixtures of Christmas for many people.

“It was great to see Roger turning out for the Past XV, although I don’t think Gareth Jenkins will be needing a report on his play. He made a positive contribution and was delighted to be able to play against his two boys.”

There was little time for Lewis to join in the post match revelries as he headed down the M4 to cast his eye over the other end of the playing spectrum in Wales; the Magners League derby between the Ospreys and Scarlets at a packed Liberty Stadium.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness