Jump to main content

Ryan takes over reins from Duncan

Ryan takes over reins from Duncan

The announcement sees Duncan Jones step aside as skipper, despite having guided the region to the Magners League title last season.

“I am excited by the challenge and the opportunity,” said British and Irish Lions and Wales back row star Jones. “It is a huge honour and it will be a privilege to lead such a successful side into the next stage of our development.”

Ospreys Coach Lyn Jones hailed the contribution of prop Jones and was quick to point out that the change in no way reflected on his leadership qualities.

The Coach insists the change in leadership at the Liberty Stadium reflects the control centre of the side is now at the base of the scrum, in the shape of key players Justin Marshall, Mike Phillips, James Hook, Ryan Jones and Filo Tiatia.

“It in no way reflects on the job Duncan did last year,” he said. “His influence was at the heart of everything good in the rugby played by the Ospreys, and when he represented Wales.

“It is a positional-tactical change. It is about achieving our full potential through driving the last five per cent of maturity, discipline and leadership at the centre of the park.

“This has been a tough decision, but it is right for the team.”

Former skipper Jones promised to give new skipper Jones his full support.

“I will back Ryan fully in his new role as skipper,” he said. “I have enjoyed my time as Ospreys captain. The boys made my job easy and our success was down to everyone’s hard work, not just one person.

“There are always five or six leaders in any strong team and the role of captain at the Ospreys will change slightly next season.”