Jump to main content

Duncan’s back in black

Duncan’s back in black

Wales prop Duncan Jones will finally return to action this month after being given the all clear to start the new season.

Share this page:

The Ospreys front rower hasn’t played since suffering a foot injury last December but the region have confirmed that Jones will be available for selection for Friday night’s Magners League opener against Ulster in Belfast.

“Duncan is now back into a full rugby programme,” said Ospreys head physio Chris Towers.

“He has completed full intensity training sessions, which is excellent news, and will be available for game time at the start of the season.”

The news is a boost for both the Ospreys and Wales, for whom Jones hasn’t seen action since coming on as a replacement against New Zealand in November.

The 31-year-old’s international career has been hampered by injury over the past couple of seasons with the most recent setback preventing him from playing any part in the 2010 Six Nations, the June Test with South Africa and the two-match summer tour of New Zealand.

Jones had previously been forced out of the 2009 Six Nations with a chronic stress fracture that saw him miss out on a potential Lions place after being sidelined for all bar the first two months of the 2008/09 season.

The former Neath star was a Grand Slam winner in both 2005 and 2008 but has made just two starts and three substitute appearances since the second of those Six Nations triumphs.

“We’ve stepped up the work over the last few weeks and it’s gone well,” said Jones, who currently has 57 Wales caps to his name.

“The injury has healed well and I’m pretty confident. It feels good, it feels strong and there hasn’t been any bad reaction.

“I’m eager now to get back involved and play my part in anyway I can with the team.

“The sooner the better as far as I’m concerned, but I realise that it’ll be when the physio and the coaches feel is right for me.

“I have to fight for my place now. There are boys who have stepped in that have been playing well so it’s up to me keep working hard, fight for the opportunity to play and show the coaches that I’m ready.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness