Jump to main content

Andrews relishing Aussie chance

Andrews relishing Aussie chance

Wales tight-head prop Scott Andrews is relishing the chance to start for his country on Saturday but knows he has big boots to fill in the absence of Adam Jones.

Share this page:

The 22-year-old will make his first start for Wales at the Millennium Stadium this weekend, winning just his second cap but Andrews is looking forward to the opportunity to show what he can do on the International scene.

“I’m really looking forward to the opportunity but know it’s going to be a stern test,” said the Cardiff Blues forward.

“Australia are a very talented bunch who showed what they can do against the Barbarians.

“Ben Alexander didn’t start in that game, but as a tight-head he’s shored up the Australian scrum over the past two years.

“There were question marks over them a couple of years ago but they’ve been erased now, with Alexander, Sekope Kefu on the loose-head and James Slipper, who’s a guy I came across in the Under-20 World Cup.

“He’s played a number of Tests now and proven he is an international prop on both sides of the scrum so it’ll be a big test.”

Andrews has revealed that Jones been a big influence on his career and has passed down advice ahead of the game.

“He’s been around a while but over the past few years with the Lions and the World Cup he has shown how word-class he is and he’s a player I’ve looked up to,” added Andrews.

“He’s up to 70-odd caps for Wales, I have seen him play loads and he’s a great person to train with and learn off.

“He is probably one of the best props in the world at the moment so they are big boots to fill.

“But he’s is good to learn from and he has been very supportive.

“I had a chat with him and he gave few a few little pointers.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness