Jump to main content

Walker not here to watch

Walker not here to watch

Wales newcomer Eli Walker insists he isn’t just content to play his part in training as Wales target back-to-back Grand Slam successes this spring.

Share this page:

The uncapped Ospreys wing is hoping to make his senior debut as Wales face Ireland, France, Italy, Scotland and then England over the next seven weeks.

Walker has been in sensational form for his region this term and he’s itching to be given the chance to impress on the big stage.

“It’s definitely a goal to be capped,” said Walker, who will have to push past incumbent wings George North and Alex Cuthbert for a spot out wide.

“I’d like to think I’m not here just to make up the numbers but to put pressure on the other guys. I’d like to think we feed off each other.

“I don’t know about it being daunting (competing against North and Cuthbert). I have known George a long time, since Wales U16s. He’s a great guy and a very good player. He always was when we came up through the ranks.

“I suppose Cuthbert and George are big and powerful guys. I like to think I have got speed in my game. I’m a different type of player.”

Regular game time and increased confidence have played a big part in Walker’s progress this season, with the 20-year-old having already featured 13 times for his region since the start of the new campaign.

His superb try against Toulouse and his sublime break in the following week’s draw with Leicester saw him earn plenty of positive headlines yet Walker insists he doesn’t pay too much attention to the press, even when it’s as positive as it has been in recent weeks.

“Europe has been good for me. It’s my first real season and my confidence has built with each game – I’m just enjoying my rugby,” added Walker.

“I don’t get fazed going into games or about who I am facing. I focus on my game and my goals.

“It was definitely a boost coming back from the U20 World Cup last summer with a lot of confidence to take into this season from Wales finishing third.

“It was great to get a few games under my belt with the Ospreys and I’ve built from there. Last season it was quite hard jumping in and out of the team. When you have a run of games, you get into a rhythm and have some continuity.

“I don’t read the newspapers. I try to avoid them. My grandparents have got scrapbooks of cuttings from since I picked up a rugby ball. They’re always giving me a ring and saying, ‘Have you seen this or that?’ My attitude is one week you can have a good game and the next not so good. I try to keep a clear head and concentrate on my goals.”

Walker admits he may have to wait a week before he can really push towards the next of those goals, though, as he is still working hard to overcome a minor hamstring injury.

“I’ve not been able to take part in full training, which has been disappointing, but I’m looking to push on.

“I’m in it for the long haul. It’s great to have the call up and we are all working hard. It may be next week and France before I’m fully fit.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness