Jump to main content

Wilson: new faces can fire Wales

Wilson: new faces can fire Wales

Danny Wilson says he is looking forward to seeing a number of new faces perform when Wales Under 20 take on Ireland on Friday night.

Share this page:

Five of Friday’s starting line-up were involved in last year’s hugely successful Junior World Championship but it is the number of new faces which is exciting Wilson. 

Wales can expect another warm welcome from the north Wales public for their game at Parc Eirias and Wilson admits he can’t wait for the Six Nations opener to start.

“Two thirds of the starting team will get their first taste of U20 rugby,” he said.

“It’s a chance to see some more combinations and then over the next two seasons we can see where we are as a side.

“It’s the first step on the ladder towards our pinnacle which is the World Cup.”

Wilson’s side have prepared for Friday’s game by training with the Wales senior side and he says he is looking at not just the Six Nations opener but also the bigger picture.

“We have trained against the Welsh squad a couple of times this week and these are great experiences for this group of players,” Wilson confirmed.

“Player development is the most important thing for us and hopefully it will help to improve our national side.

“We want to win every game, there’s no doubt about that but the big picture is to develop players for the World Cup and the Six Nations.”

One of the new faces in the side is Sam Davies who starts at fly half. With north Wales product Dion Jones at full back and Cory Allen at centre, Wales have a raft of attacking options.

“Sam is a leader and brings a balanced running and kicking game. I’m looking forward to seeing him out there on Friday night,” Wilson added.

“I think Ireland will play a similar way to the way they played in the Six Nations last year. They will look to play for field position and they’ve got a couple of dangerous runners.

“There will be plenty for us to deal with but it’s about us and what we can do.

“There’s an element of the unknown but I can guarantee we will give it our all.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness