Jump to main content

Murray targets Wales

Murray targets Wales

Ireland scrum-half Conor Murray has warned Wales to expect a RBS 6 Nations backlash from Declan Kidney’s men.

Share this page:

Wales go in to Saturday’s Millennium Stadium clash on the back of three consecutive triumphs over their Celtic rivals.

Ireland are still reeling from the defeats and Murray insists they will be using the pain as motivation for the Championship.

“We have lost to Wales the last three times we’ve played them, so we owe them one over there,” said Murray.

“They probably feel the same because we had a few good tussles before I came into the team. They’re great games and we’re pretty familiar with each other.

“There will be backlash and a much stronger performance than we saw in November.

“But it’s a huge game for both sides. They won’t be happy with how the autumn went, but they’re champions and will be defending their title.”

Murray could line-up against Mike Phillips, with Lloyd Williams and Tavis Knoyle the alternative options.

Comparisons are often drawn between Murray and Phillips and the Munster half-back is relishing a potential showdown.

“Mike’s someone I looked up to when I wasn’t in the Irish set-up and I’ve taken a few things from his game,” said the 23-year-old.

“It will be another interesting battle. Hopefully I’ve gained a bit more experience now and it will be a close one.

“The main reason people compare is because of our similarities in height and the way we look. But we’re both physical scrum-halves.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness