Jump to main content

Allen eager to build on winning start

Allen eager to build on winning start

Cory Allen is aiming to produce another defensive master-class when Wales Under-20s take on France on Sunday.

Share this page:

The Cardiff Blues centre produced a colossal performance in Wales’ victory over Ireland last weekend.

He expects a fierce challenge from Les Bleus at Stade Marcel Michelin but is determined to demonstrate his capabilities in both attack and his favoured defence.

“Personally I enjoy defence more than attack and in the second-half against Ireland we were doing a lot of it, especially in our own half,” said Allen.

“All of the boys stood up to keep them out. They were camped in our twenty-two and to do that was a credit to all of the boys and the systems in place.

“I don’t know what it is but I just love the defensive stuff. I get more of buzz from putting in a big hit than a scoring.

“This week I have to bring the same defence and do more in attack. The forwards carried the backs a bit last week and we owe them one.

“We have been working on it all week and hopefully we can put it on the pitch.”

After narrowly overcoming Ireland, Wales now possess the all-important momentum and Allen hopes his side will thrive in the Clermont clash to build on their successful start.

“Last year we lost the first game and didn’t have a very successful Six Nations,” added Allen.

“Having got off with a winning start over Ireland for the first time in a few years the boys are very confident.

“Hopefully we can build upon that this weekend and maybe even go on to win a Grand Slam.

“But it’s a massive challenge. They have sold 20,000 tickets so it’s going to be a big crowd.

“They have a big pack and some big backs. Whoever gets ahead in the scrum will have the advantage. That’s their big strength so we have to negate that.

“It’s been pretty even every time I’ve played France at the various age-grades and hopefully we get the edge again.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness