Jump to main content

Tipuric relishes back row battle

Tipuric relishes back row battle

Justin Tipuric anticipates a colossal battle with the French back row in tomorrow’s RBS 6 Nations clash.

Share this page:

The Ospreys flanker replaces injured Sam Warburton in the Wales starting line-up as both sides look to get back to winning ways following opening day defeats.

And having come up against Les Bleus’ back-row duo Thierry Dusautoir and Louis Picamoles in the Ospreys’ European encounters with Toulouse, he expects a fierce clash.

“When we played Toulouse at the Liberty it was Dusautoir’s first game back from injury,” said Tipuric.

“He’s had a few games under his belt now and he had a few turnovers last week. He made a bit of an impact and is back to his best.

“It will be a tough one. With Picamoles and Ouedraogo they have a great back row and it will be a tough test for us.

“They are all very good players. Obvioulsy Dusautoir hasn’t won all those awards for no reason and Picamoles is an absolute beast of a man and isn’t an easy guy to stop.”

Tipuric has won eight of his 11 caps from the bench and he is relishing the opportunity to make just his second start in the Six Nations.

“We’re quite lucky there’s a great standard of sevens about at the minute

“It’s probably double figures at the minute the number of sevens that could play for Wales and there’s loads of youngsters coming through.

“It helps push on to be better to be honest and you have to work harder and harder to make sure you are performing.

“It’s never nice coming off the bench. As a player everyone wants to start.

“I don’t think there is pressure on me. I was lucky enough to play last year and come on just after half-time against Ireland, and I started against Italy.

“It’s not about me it’s about working for the team. If we get this win and I’ve done my role right for the team then I’ll be happy.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness