Jump to main content

Parisse warns Wales

Parisse warns Wales

Sergio Parisse has warned Wales that Italy will be firing on all cylinders in Rome.

Share this page:

Following their thrilling victory over France on the opening weekend of RBS 6 Nations action, the Azzurri crashed to a 34-10 defeat to Scotland.

But the Italian captain insists his side will be a different animal when they welcome resurgent Wales to the Olympic Stadium on February 23.

“Every time it is difficult when you lose,” said Parisse.

“If we were playing Wales next week it would be difficult, but we have a week where we don’t play and time to understand why we lost and we will come back to get it right for the game in Rome against Wales.

“One week ago, we were on a high and we must take positives even from this game.

“The Six Nations is long and we have an extra week now to prepare for the game against Wales.”

Italy went away from their traditional tight game and opted for a more expansive style against the Scots.

And Parisse admits that was part of their downfall at Murrayfield.

“If you think we underestimated Scotland, maybe you don’t know our team very well,” he said.

“We were not arrogant and we did not underestimate Scotland.

“I think that we want to play open rugby and maybe we played too much open rugby in this game. That was the issue for me.

“It is a very disappointing defeat, definitely. But I want to pay tribute to Scotland for the way they slowed us down at the ruck.

“We have a responsibility for what happened at the ruck, of course, because we gave slow ball to our nine and ten.

“But, while two of the Scottish tries were quite lucky, I would underline that they played very well in defence and attack.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness