Jump to main content

Chief targets the double

Chief targets the double

Dale McIntosh reckons Pontypridd can complete a historic SWALEC Cup-Principality League double.

Share this page:

After watching his side claim their fifth SWALEC Cup with a 34-13 win over Neath on Saturday, McIntosh is confident that a first-ever league and cup double is in their own hands.

Ponty play either Llandovery or Llanelli in the Premiership play-off final on May 18.

“As long as we don’t bottle it we should be okay, that’s the biggest thing for me,” said McIntosh.

“If we lose to a better side and we’ve performed to somewhere near our best then that’s fine but my biggest fear is that we bottle it and don’t play.

“Teams are there to knock you off your perch.

“Neath were a completely different animal to what they’ve been all season, we had to tame the beast and I thought we did it well.”

McIntosh admits there will be several changes from Saturday’s cup winning side for the play-off final in 12 days’ time.

Ponty face Llanelli or Llandovery, who clash on Friday night, at Sardis Road – where they have not lost this season.

“There’s still room for improvement, we are like Jekyll and Hyde sometimes,” added McIntosh.

“We showed that last year in the cup final and that’s no disrespect to Cross Keys.

“But we have to make sure we don’t underestimate the opposition which nine times out of 10 we don’t.

“We’ve got a lot of faith in our squad. We made some compromises on Saturday, you could say we chickened out a bit as coaches but the compromise was that some players who didn’t start the club final will start in the play-off.

“We’ve just got to get over that finish line but there is going to be one of two very good sides trying to stop us.
“We’ll call on our home support at Sardis Road to try and give us that extra 10per cent.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness