Jump to main content

Denbigh celebrate success

Denbigh celebrate success

Denbigh have celebrated their crowning as SWALEC National League Division 2 winners with a presentation away at Abergele, following their midweek win over Llanidloes on 24 April 2013.

Share this page:

The team was presented with their trophy on 27 April after their 36 – 12 win against Abergele.

Playing with the advantage of a gusting wind, Abergele dominated the opening 10 minutes to keep Denbigh pinned deep in their half. Denbigh gradually forced their way back into the game with Captain Dan Jones scoring a try which Tom Seddon converted on the stroke of half time.

Denbigh pressured Abergele in the second half as their pack became increasingly dominant at both the scrum and in the loose. Dan O’Sullivan touched down to score Denbigh’s sixth try. 

The team has won 16 of their 18 games, finishing with 77 points overall. Last year the club finished in the middle of Division 2.

Skipper Dan Jones, said: “The main difference this year has been Bob Sculley joining us as our new coach. We now have a stronger coaching team behind us, with Sam Blackmore as our physiotherapist and Tom Hughes working on our strength and conditioning. Every player is really enthusiastic about our new coaching methods.

“At the start of this season I said to Bob that I didn’t have a clue about being a captain. He told me not to worry, to lead by example and it would all come naturally to me. I have the best bunch of lads behind me. On behalf of everyone at Clwb Rygbi Dinbych I would like to thank our new coach Bob Sculley.

“Winning Division 2 has been great and we are looking forward to moving into SWALEC Division 1 next season. The team is going to be bigger, fitter, stronger and better drilled. We will hit pre-season hard, working on everything including our scrums and line-outs. I can’t wait for next season to start.”

VIEW VIDEO

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness