Jump to main content

WRU offer volunteering opportunities to Armed Forces

WRU offer volunteering opportunities to Armed Forces

Both current and former members of the Armed Forces in Wales were this week given the chance to sign up to volunteer in rugby thanks to the Welsh Rugby Union.

Share this page:

At an event in Cardiff’s City Hall on Tuesday, the WRU took the opportunity to engage with potential volunteers who have an interest in rugby, either in a volunteering, playing or coaching capacity. 

The event formed part of a wider initiative by the Armed Forces to assist service personnel in developing future career options.

Claire Thomas, WRU Club Support Advisor Volunteering, said: “We were honoured to be invited along to this event.

“We recoginse that service personnel and the skills they possess make them ideal candidates to volunteer within rugby clubs across Wales.

“We welcome volunteers of any kind and to any role. Our aim is to now match up those volunteers with relevant clubs who would benefit from their skills and input.”

Matthew Smith, a Reservist with the Third Battalion, Royal Welsh, was just one to sign up to the WRU scheme.

He said: “Other than my role with the Third Battalion, I’m unemployed. 

“I really enjoy rugby and if I can help out in any way then it makes sense to me to try and get involved.

“I’m looking to start as a player in one of the local clubs in the Cwmbran area. It’s great that all members of the Armed Forces are being given the chance to volunteer and participate in rugby by the WRU.”

The WRU intends to visit future events with the aim of getting more volunteers into rugby through the Join the Beat campaign.

Any volunteer or organisation seeking further information please contact CThomas@wru.co.uk

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness