Jump to main content

November: Adam Thomas

November: Adam Thomas

Pontypridd full back Adam Thomas has won the Principality Premiership Player of the Month for November.

Share this page:

Thomas, who is also Wales Sevens captain, has been influential in the side’s lofty position at the top of the Principality Premiership again this season, which has been achieved despite a period of transition with head coach Dale McIntosh leaving to become Cardiff Blues defence coach and former Pontypridd back row Geraint Lewis taking over.

Pontypridd won all four of their games in November, beating Bridgend, Bedwas and Carmarthen Quins away from home and Llanelli at Sardis Road.

Thomas said: “We’re doing quite well at the moment, we had a disappointing loss to Cross Keys recently but we beat Swansea on Saturday and we’ve got Cardiff to look forward to on Boxing Day so hopefully we’ll head into the New Year in a good place. It’s inevitable to go through a bit of a bumpy patch with Dale leaving – his are big boots to fill having been at the club for 20 years but Geraint is a good coach, he knows his stuff and he’s a Ponty man too so once everything settles down, I’m sure we’ll be fine.

“Being champions, everyone steps up their game for every match which is a great challenge but we need to show some consistency. We had a big win over Carmarthen but the loss against Cross Keys knocked us back. We want to kick on from here and hopefully host a play-off final again this season.”

Adam has been in fine form over the past few seasons, both for club and country but his ambitions remain modest – to stay fit. “I’ve been relatively injury free for the last two years. I got injured in Dubai a few weeks ago but I’m back training now so I’m looking forward to getting back on the pitch,” he said.

“My personal goal was always to be a professional rugby player and the Sevens has helped me to achieve that. My aim now is to remain full time for as long as possible, whether it’s by combining Ponty and Wales Sevens or getting a chance with the Blues.”

Pontypridd coach Paul John said: “It’s great to have players like Adam in the side. Adam is versatile, being able to play centre and full back, and is a very stable influence on and off the field, which is especially important when you’re going through some change as a club.”

Principality Building Society’s Pontypridd branch manager, Sara David, said: “Adam has made a fantastic start to the new season with some great performances for Pontypridd that have seen them go to the top of the table. Competition within the Principality Premiership has been fierce so far this season and we hope to see this continue as Pontypridd try to regain the title.”

Adam Thomas factfile
Born: 22.8.86, Ynysybwl
Position: Centre / full back
Club: Pontypridd
First club: Ynysybwl
School: Ysgol Gyfun Rhydfelin
Nicknames: Timmy, Bull
Most admired rugby player: Jonny Wilkinson
Most admired sportsperson: Joe Fraser
Biggest influence: coaches throughout my playing career 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners