Jump to main content

Williams’ surprise at Wales call

Williams’ surprise at Wales call

Wales and Scarlets scrum half Rhodri Williams admits his progression to full international honours this season has taken him by surprise.

Share this page:

The number nine is enjoying an impressive first campaign in west Wales and made his international bow in the recent Dove Men Series.

Williams featured as a replacement against both Samoa and Australia after being named in Warren Gatland’s squad for the first time. A pair of Welsh caps completed a memorable year for the 20-year-old Llandovery product, who was a key man for Wales Under 20 in their run to the final at last summer’s Junior World Championship.

“It’s come around very quickly and I never expected to be in the Welsh squad in the autumn,” said Williams.

“I had a good run of games before it and I was lucky enough to be involved. I didn’t expect to win two caps, when I was named in the squad I was hoping to gain some experience but I was pleased with how it went.”

After his involvement in the Wales squad, Williams has now turned his attentions to regional duties as the Scarlets prepare for a pair of Christmas derby clashes with the Ospreys. Simon Easterby’s men welcome the Ospreys to Parc y Scarlets on Boxing Day before the return fixture in Swansea on January 3.

“At the moment I’m trying to concentrate on the region, secure my spot and see what happens from there,” added Williams.

“We’ve got the Ospreys back-to-back and we’ve got to win both of those games if we want to move up the league. They will be great games to be a part of and I’m looking forward to it.”

After defeat to Munster on Saturday, the Scarlets go into Christmas in seventh place in the RaboDirect PRO12, three places below the Ospreys.

Looking ahead to the derby fixtures, Williams said: “If our discipline isn’t right we are going to struggle to win the game, especially against the Ospreys with the kickers they’ve got.

“Dan Biggar will kick us back into the corners and Sam Davies is playing 15 at the moment so territory will be key. If we keep getting pushed back, we won’t get anywhere.

“I’ll be hoping to start the derby games, there is a lot of competition with us but hopefully I’ll get a chance and I can perform.” 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness