Jump to main content

Humberstone loving life in the fast lane

Humberstone loving life in the fast lane

Simon Humberstone says he is loving life in the fast lane after helping Pontypridd win the SWALEC Cup, 24 hours after representing Cardiff Blues.

Share this page:

The outside half came on in the Blues’ 22-15 victory at The Sportsground on Saturday as the region grabbed their fourth win in a row, but he had no time to celebrate, immediately flying back from Galway to make sure he could start in the Millennium Stadium showcase – where he kicked 11 points in Ponty’s 21-8 win over Cross Keys.

And Humberstone admitted it’s just the way he wants it.

“I had 100 minutes last weekend and another 100 this weekend, so it’s been busy! But I wouldn’t want it any other way, I always want to be involved in big games,” said the 26-year-old.

“I thoroughly enjoyed getting 20 minutes against Connacht and challenging myself at a higher level and then to come back and be a part of the cup win was pretty special.

“I got back at midnight so it was a long day but it’s what you love to do and I’d rather be doing this than any other job.”

The Ponty and Blues playmaker, who landed two penalties, a conversion and a sweetly struck drop-goal on Sunday, was delighted to see Ponty bounce back from their agonising extra-time British and Irish Cup defeat to Leinster in style as they completed step one of a Principality Premiership and SWALEC Cup double.

“I think the boys deserve a massive tap on the back for getting themselves back up for it again,” added Humberstone. “We put so much into last week and to come up short after 100 minutes of rugby was heart breaking. 

“But for the boys to get back up again and edge out that Cross Keys side, who have a big, powerful pack, all credit to them. 

“It was a big thing for us this year to compete with the big guns in the British and Irish Cup. We did that but just came up short. The focus then turned to the SWALEC Cup, which meant everything to us, and to get the win on the board is good. Now we want to go and win the Premiership as well.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness