Jump to main content

Blues sign Williams from Ulster

Blues sign Williams from Ulster

Cardiff Blues have announced a second major signing after securing the signature of Ulster No 8 Nick Williams from next season.

Share this page:

The 32-year-old left his native New Zealand to join Munster Rugby in 2008 and played six times in his first season as the Irish side won the Guinness PRO12 title. He then made a further 11 appearances the following season before heading to Aironi.

After two seasons in Italy he returned to Ireland to join Ulster, where he has played for four seasons, and was named PRO12 player of the season in 2012/13. He made his 100th appearance in the PRO12 in his last outing Ulster and has played 20 times in the European Cup

“Nick has been one of the standout performers in the PRO12 for the last few seasons so we are thrilled that he will join us from next season. He is an extremely physical and uncompromising forward who will give us real edge and bring a real winning mentality with him,” said Cardiff Blues head coach Danny Wilson.

“Nick is undoubtedly a strong ball carrier who is involved in big collisions in both attack and defence. We are pleased to bring a player not only of his quality but also with vast experience to the region as we look to enhance our back row options and firepower for the coming seasons.”

Williams is the second big name signing announced by the Blues in recent weeks, following on from the capture from triple Champions Cup champions RC Toulon on Australian prop Salesi Ma’afu.

“I’ve enjoyed my time in Belfast and it’s been a successful time at Ulster. The Ulster people are special and the supporters have always been so good to me,” said Williams.

“But this is a new challenge for me and I’m excited about what I’ve heard about what Cardiff Blues are looking to achieve, both on and off the field, in the coming years. I feel both physically and mentally as strong as ever and I’m ready to make an impact.

“Ulster have looked after me so I feel I can really contribute in Wales and in a new environment. I spoke to Danny at length about the region and his plans and I’m now looking forward to using my experience to help the team and getting stuck in.”

A former New Zealand Under 21 cap and Junior All Black, Williams is the older brother of Chiefs wing Tim Nanai-Williams and a cousin of All Black Sonny Bill Williams. 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness