Jump to main content

Davies commits future to Scarlets

Davies commits future to Scarlets

Wales scrum half Gareth Davies has become the latest big name player to commit his future to the Scarlets after signing a new deal that will keep him at Parc y Scarlets until at least 2018.

Share this page:

The 25-year-old Newcastle Emlyn product scored five tries in five appearances for his country at the recent Rugby World Cup and has developed into one of the best No 9s in the northern hemisphere.

He joins a long list of existing Scarlets already signed up for the new season including captain Ken Owens, Jake Ball, John Barclay, Aled Davies, James Davies, Rob Evans, Samson Lee, Aaron Shingler, Liam Williams and Scott Williams. Jonathan Davies and Rhys Patchell will be two new additions to Scarlets’ squad.

“We’re pleased to confirm that Gareth has committed his future to the Scarlets. Coming off the back of recent news that Aled Davies has also extended his contract it gives us that strength in depth at scrum half position as we continue to build for the future,” said Scarlets head coach Wayne Pivac.

“Gareth had a very successful World Cup campaign with Wales scoring some good tries but coming back to the region and having to compete for the No 9 shirt with Aled and Rhodri keeps the players sharp and ensures that they’re always developing and improving.”

Davies joined the Scarlets Academy in 2006 and has gone on to make 120 appearances for the region since making his debut as a replacement against Newport Gwent Dragons in March, 2009. At the end of the 2013/14 season he picked up WRPA Young Players of the Season, Scarlets Players’ Players of the Season and Worthington’s Supporters Player of the Season.

He was also given a place in the Possibles squad for the Welsh Trial and went on to win his first international cap against South Africa on the 2014 Summer Tour. He was named in the 2013-14 PRO12 Dream Team after ending the season as the tournament’s leading try scorer.

“I’m very pleased to have signed a new contract to stay at the Scarlets for another couple of seasons. Interest from elsewhere has been flattering but I always wanted to remain here and continue my development at the region I’ve been supporting since I was a child,” said Davies.

“There’s great competition for places here in the squad at the moment and both Aled and Rhodri have been playing some good rugby. Since coming back from the World Cup I’ve had to challenge them both; it’s good to have strength in depth in the position, it keeps us all on our toes.

“I’m looking forward to the next couple of years here in West Wales as we continue to build and we’re all looking forward to the big derbies over Christmas.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness