Jump to main content

Hughes comes home to Dragons

Hughes comes home to Dragons

Former Wales Under 20 centre Adam Hughes has made his return to Newport Gwent Dragons a permanent deal after re-signing with his home town club.

Share this page:

Newport-born centre Hughes has spent this season so far on loan at Rodney Parade from Exeter Chiefs, but now the 25-year-old, who also had early spells with Bedwas and Newport, will stay until 2018 after agreeing a new deal.

“It’s great that I have signed a contract with the Dragons. When I came back here I was on loan originally, but it has been going really well and I feel like I have fully settled in with the squad,” said Hughes.

“It is different here now compared to how it used to be, especially having the new training facility in Ystrad Mynach. We are a team on the up with all of the players doing well and it’s only going to get better once we are back up to full strength with the return of the injured players.”

Among his 89 appearances for the Dragons are starts in all four of their European Rugby Challenge Cup ties this campaign, including a try in the opening game against Sale Sharks. That was after scoring two tries in three seasons for Exeter last season.

“I have to thank Exeter as they have made me a better player and have developed me over the last two years – I feel like I have come back a better more rounded player because of my experience there,” added Hughes.

Dragons director of rugby, Lyn Jones added: “This is great news for us as a Region. Adam has returned to the Dragons as a more confident and understanding player. This is an important signing for us as we move forward.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness