Jump to main content

Hyatt: Best yet to come from the Wizards

Hyatt: Best yet to come from the Wizards

Aberavon head coach Jason Hyatt is confident his side have what it takes to step up another level ready for the Principality Premiership Tier One when the league kicks off again at the start of next month.

Share this page:

CLICK HERE to view fixtures for rounds 16-22

The Wizards finished top of the table at the end of Part I of the Premiership, and Hyatt is sure his players have more in the tank as they prepare to take on the other teams in the top eight in their bid for the title.

“It was really important for us to finish top going into the second part of the season. The new structure has helped to produce intense, exciting matches and now, competing against only the other teams in the top eight we have a lot to look forward to.

“We are developing players – we have seen Jay Baker and Rowan Jenkins step up from Aberavon to the Ospreys this season and playing more intense games more regularly will only help us to continue to do that.

“We have used the Foster’s Cup to blood new players and give others game time, and have used the downtime well to give other players a rest and prepare for the next stage. I feel we are in a better position now than we were this time last year.

“We play Llandovery in the Cup at the end of the month, at home, then away in the first match of Tier One. It will be tough but we know what to expect. We both like to play an attacking, expansive game so it should be an attractive and competitive fixture.

“Then we’re away to Ebbw Vale where I felt we didn’t do ourselves justice last season in a televised match. Hopefully we’ll perform as we did at home earlier this season, and then we’ve got RGC at home. They have really impressed me this season, our match there was one of our most physical of the season, and they’re clearly a very tight knit group.

“Our supporters have been fantastic this season and it will be great to see a big crowd again for that match and our other home games.”

Bedwas, who were one of the form teams in the first half of the season, finishing second, also have two away clashes – at Ebbw Vale and Carmarthen Quins – before welcoming Merthyr to Bridgefield on February 25.

Head coach Steve Law said, “We’re chuffed to have finished where we did having performed so well in the first part of the season.

“As at the start of the season, it will be important to have a good start in this new section of the league, and it will be tough for us to go away twice but if we can get a win out of those first two games I’ll be pleased.

“We’ve got a mature, experienced side with some youth, and some freshness with the likes of Robson Blake who’s impressed, and Nicky Griffiths who’s added something to the group. It’s not a big squad and we’ll stand or fall on the availability of our players – if we manage to stay fit and healthy I’m confident we can do well.”

Swansea will compete in Tier Two of the Principality Premiership and head coach Richard Lancaster is looking forward to the challenge.

“We want to win every game and this competition and the play-offs at the end of the season give us a target to really work hard towards.

“We have some great fixtures against a lot of big teams such as Cardiff, Neath, Bridgend, Llanelli and Newport so there’s a lot to be excited about – the rest of the season is certainly not written off.

“For us it’s a chance to start again but with the ability to draw on the experiences of playing these teams in the first half of the season. We know from these experiences that if we play to our potential we can beat any of these opponents and we’re looking forward to proving that, without the threat of relegation.”

Cross Keys narrowly missed out on a Tier One place and are looking to build momentum. They play Llanelli and Bridgend at home before travelling to Swansea in February.

Head coach Greg Woods said, “We’ve got some good fixtures to look forward to and we must learn some lessons from the start of the season and get off to a good start rather than play catch up.

“We’re disappointed not to be in the top eight but we’re pleased with our recent performances, even in the defeats to Pontypridd and Ebbw Vale over Christmas and we’ve got to build on those.”

There will be semi-finals and a final in both tiers of the Principality Premiership, on the weekends of 13/14 May and 20/21 May. Broadcast partner S4C will televise up to six further Principality Premiership fixtures, along with following the WRU Challenge Cup, Plate and Bowl to their conclusion.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness