Jump to main content

Tribute paid to Brynmawr stalwart Mal Beynon

Tribute paid to Brynmawr stalwart Mal Beynon

WRU president Dennis Gethin has paid tribute to former WRU Board member Mal Beynon who passed away on Saturday night.

Share this page:

Mr Beynon served as a WRU Board Member from 1997 to 2015 and made a huge contribution to Welsh rugby and to rugby in the Monmouthshire area in particular.

He was an active member of Brynmawr RFC for 60 years, first as a player and then a committee member, serving terms as treasurer, vice chairman and chairman before being made a life member. 

He joined the WRU Board in 1997 representing District A and was chairman of the Regulatory Committee for a number of years along with sitting on the Millennium Stadium Board and the Appointments and Renumeration Panel.

Dennis Gethin said, “Mal will be sorely missed by his club Brynmawr and Welsh rugby as a whole. He was a great servant of Welsh rugby for club, district and country. He was of great help to me when I was secretary of the Welsh Rugby Union,  and I will also remember him as the heart and soul of after-match functions.”

The funeral will be held at 1pm on Friday 31st August, at St Mary R.C. Church Brynmawr, followed by burial at Brynmawr Cemetery.

Refreshments will be served at Brynmawr RFC.

The family have requested no flowers and all donations to Welsh Rugby Charitable Trust.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness