Jump to main content

Woods wants Ebbw to show some steel

Greg Woods

Greg Woods has called the game against Pontypridd a 'must win' occasion for his side

Greg Woods has told his Ebbw Vale players they must win at home to Pontypridd on Friday night if they are to stay in the hunt for Principality Premiership glory.

Share this page:

The two teams meet at Eugene Cross Park with Steelmen in fourth, seven points behind their opponents who are directly above them. Head coach Woods knows it’s time for his team to shine.

“It’s a huge, huge game. We have to come away with something if we are to be in the title shake-up and I’ve told the players that,” said Woods.

“We’ve been on a fantastic run and, although we slipped up at Swansea, we’re back playing at home in front of a huge crowd and it will a big occasion. Pontypridd are in fine form, but I’ve felt an excitement in training this week. The game is live on TV and as a squad we are in good health. We can’t wait to get going.”

Defending Premiership champions Merthyr are five points clear at the summit with Cardiff, Pontypridd and Ebbw chasing their tail. The men from Sardis Road are still flying high despite financial concerns off the field, but Woods wants his side to down them on home turf.

“We know what is at stake in this game. We play the top three teams in our remaining fixtures so there is still plenty for us to play for,” added Woods.

“We go into the game with Pontypridd with a strong 23 who are bang up for the game. We played well away to Cross Keys in the Gwent derby and those players will keep their place.

“I want to reward the players who have been producing the goods for us and hopefully they can do it again against Pontypridd.”

A win for Ebbw would give them a boost ahead of the rest of the weekend’s fixtures which take place on Saturday and Sunday.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness