Jump to main content

TAYLOR TO LEAVE SCARLETS

Club graphic

Wales centre Taylor, who answered his country’s SOS call to play on the wing in the Grand Slam clash against Ireland amid an injury crisis, is out of contract this summer.

But the 31-year-old, capped 49 times, will now end his career at Edgeley Park despite interest from Bristol, London Irish and Cardiff Blues.

“At the end of the day it was a rugby decision. I was offered more money elsewhere but the chance to play alongside the likes of Jason Robinson, Charlie Hodgson and Mark Cueto was a the real attraction at Sale,” said Taylor. “It will be a big wrench to leave Wales having played all my rugby here but if I’ve always fancied a new challenge and this is the ideal time.”

Taylor only played a handful of games for Llanelli this season after being struck down by an eye infection before making a surprise comeback on the wing for Wales in the game against Ireland that clinched the Grand Slam last month.

He said: “It has been a strange season, frustrating but memorable. All I want to do now is get regular rugby. The Zurich Premiership is up with France as the most competitive league in Europe.”