Jump to main content

Preview: Reebok Regional U20

Preview: Reebok Regional U20

Three of the four regions can still qualify for the U20 Reebok Regional Championship final on 12th January 2007 with only the Dragons, who have yet to win this season, out of contention. However, despite their poor record, the Gwent region could still put a spanner in the works if they use home advantage to beat the Blues, at Llantwit Fardre RFC tonight (kick off 7.15pm).

Beaten 54-7 when the sides met at Abercynon in November, the region is certainly hoping to sign off with a victory over their table-topping neighbours.

The match was originally scheduled for Eugene Cross Park, however, a replacement venue is currently being considered.

Meanwhile, the Ospreys (third) and Scarlets (second) come face to face at Waterton Cross where a victory for either side would be enough to see them through to face the Blues.

Blues High Performance Manager, Gafyn Cooper, said: “I think we have deserved our place in the final. We have lost one game out of five and have played well. I would like to think they can clinch that final spot in style.”

Cooper’s opposite number at the Dragons, Ron Schottle said: “It has not be a good season for us, but the side want to finish with a bang and I know they will be up for it. It should be a decent contest.”

Dai Arthur, High Performance Manager at the Ospreys added: “It has come down to the last game and, in my eyes, that tells you how competitive this tournament really is. If we win we will go through. I am hoping that will be the case.”

Dragons: J Burgess, C Young, K Price, G Ashman, N Preece, D Langdon, T Edwards (capt), W Griffiths, L Harward, R Cadogan, O Mayers, T Price, E Matthews, T Organ, L Dykhoff. Replacements: G Young, C Fillier, J Owen, D Morgan, S Skinner, R Turner, G Dare.

Blues: T Daley, K Hendrickson, L Thomas, T Cooper, G Jones, M Schropher, D Allinson, N Eaves, A Fowler, P Palmer, J Down, M Gardner, J Groves (capt), J Cullen, M Larson. Replacements: G Deren, H Dowden, K Jenkins, A Wilson, M Al-Azzawi, T Isaac, M Edwards.

Ospreys: J Howells, J Pike, A Wilkins, N Harwod, L Halfpenny, T Cole, R Webb, P Price, M Breeze, D Matthews, J Richards, K Maiden, J Jones, L Simms, S Kiley (capt). Replacements: C Morgan, N Roberts, L Hathaway, R Lawrence, L Elliot, R Bevington, J Griffiths.

Scarlets: Squad not announced at present