Jump to main content

Scarlets ring changes for Edinburgh

Scarlets ring changes for Edinburgh

Phil Davies makes four changes in the backs and five in the pack. Young hooker Ken Owens gets an early birthday present by being selected at hooker for his first competitive start for the region, while John Davies returns to the fold at tighthead prop.

Share this page:

Lock Adam Jones will make his one hundredth appearance for the region, while Captain Simon Easterby returns to the fray after knee surgery and Alix Popham replaces Nathan Thomas at No.8.

In the backs Clive Stuart-Smith gets a rare start at scrum half alongside Stephen Jones while Gavin Evans and Darren Daniel also start.

A delighted Owens is excited at the prospect of playing at Murrayfield. The nearest he has got in the past was when he played on the side pitch for Wales U19 two years ago.

“Getting selected is like having an early birthday present as I turn twenty tomorrow,” said Owens. “I’m a bit nervous to be honest. I’ve been on the bench quite a lot this season and this will be a massive experience for me.”

However, he admitted that having the presence of Davies alongside him will make things easier: “I played with John pre-season and we’ve played together in the semi-pros with Llanelli so we have a good understanding between us. He is vastly experienced and I’m sure he’ll look after me.”

Scarlets Team to face Edinburgh:
15. Garan Evans
14. Dafydd James
13. Matthew Watkins
12. Gavin Evans
11. Darren Daniel
10. Stephen Jones
09. Clive Stuart-Smith
01. Deacon Manu
02. Ken Owens
03. John Davies
04. Adam Jones