Jump to main content

Last push for All Blacks Grand Slam

Last push for All Blacks Grand Slam

All Blacks inspirational skipper Richie McCaw is expecting Wales to come out all guns blazing in Saturday’s Invesco Perpetual clash at the Millennium Stadium.

Share this page:

Warren Gatland’s men are still recovering from the 16-16 draw Fiji subjected them to last Friday while New Zealand are just one victory away from the coveted Grand Slam after successive wins over England, Scotland and Ireland.

But McCaw is in no doubt that Wales will be a different proposition this weekend.

“The Welsh are like the Kiwis because they are pretty passionate about rugby and get very excited when things go right and wrong,” said McCaw.

“If you look at our game last week, the Irish were in a pretty similar situation because they were getting some stick after a poor performance against Samoa.

“You saw the Irish were a different team to how they played against Samoa and I expect the Welsh to be exactly the same after the Fiji game.

“We have seen that in the past and the Fiji draw has probably hardened the Welsh resolve. It is never easy against Wales in Cardiff, it is always a physical challenge.”

Just being 80 minutes away from a Grand Slam is driving the All Blacks on to one last push for glory, says McCaw.

“We have the chance of a Grand Slam now and that is exciting,” he said. “The boys are motivated for the game and are pretty keen to get the job done. To go through unbeaten in Europe is something I am pretty keen to achieve again.

“We have done it before, but it still means as much to me because it is not easy. We have given ourselves a chance and the people who have not done it before are pretty excited, along with the guys who have.

“Not many teams do it and on previous occasions we have had to play pretty well to get there. Achieving Grand Slams are not easy because you have got to get yourself up every week for a month to perform.

“The boys are OK considering we have been away for a month now and had four games in four weeks. We benefited from the fact a few of us had a bit of a break before we came over here and that is paying off now.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness