Jump to main content

Hook out to pile on French misery

Hook out to pile on French misery

James Hook is hoping to ignite the Welsh backline against France at the Stade de France and further embarrass a French side still reeling from last weekend’s defeat to Italy in the RBS 6 Nations championship.

Share this page:

The Ospreys star, who will join French outfit Perginan at the end of this season, is looking to go out in the Paris sunshine and ‘express’ himself.

“I have always loved playing in France, whether for Wales or the Ospreys, and Saturday will be no different,” he said. “We have won three and lost three at Stade de France. After the Millennium Stadium, it is my favourite ground, and we will be looking to express ourselves.

“France are difficult to analyse, which is the same every year. You never know which French side will turn up, but we can only focus on ourselves.”

Hook believes Wales have grown in confidence as the tournament has unfolded and is happy with his own game at the moment.

“I was quite pleased with my game against Ireland last weekend,” he added. “I know there has been talk about all the kicking, but it was all about getting the result and we did that. The rain came down in the second half, and it was about gaining territory.

“We have shown character to win three games after losing to England at home. Scotland was a massive stepping stone last month, going on the road and winning after so many losses.

“We want to keep going up to the World Cup. There is a long way to go before that tournament in New Zealand, and every game now is about turning the coaches’ heads.

“It meant a lot that I stayed on the field for the whole game against Ireland. In the past, 2008 especially, I was taken off as outside-half when games were tight, and being kept on filled me with confidence.

“What also pleased me was that the last 20 minutes of the game were my best, and I can take that into Paris. I am pleased with the way my Six Nations has gone, knowing I can still improve.

“We have not had a chance yet to show what we are made of in the backs, and we want to put that right on Saturday.

“We have had the results, which is big, but I would like us to show what we can do with the ball in hand without being silly. I know I can do things with the ball, and I have been working on not making stupid mistakes, waiting until something is on.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness