Jump to main content

Jones relishing role

Jones relishing role

Former Wales wing Mark Jones admits he is enjoying his new role as the national team’s backs coach.

Share this page:

With Warren Gatland on British & Irish Lions duty and Rob Howley stepping up to become Wales interim head coach, Jones was drafted into the international set-up.

The Scarlets backs coach has taken on the same role with Wales and is enjoying the experience.

“The last time I put this kit on I was going out through the door with crutches underneath my arms,” said Jones, who won 47 caps for Wales.

“It’s been a new experience, but a very enjoyable one so far. It’s been a chance to work with players from other regions, in a different environment.

“It’s been a good learning experience for me and it’s given me the opportunity to sit down with players and highlight a few things in their games that they might find useful, or just kick some new ideas around in a very well- organised and established training regime.

“It’s just a case of me questioning a few things and instigating thought around certain areas.

“It’s about me learning as well. It’s been good so far. It’s when the games start and the winning and losing happens that you find out a lot more about players.”

Wales’ back-line failed to fire in the autumn, scoring just three tries and only one from a backs move.

But Jones is confident Wales can rediscover the attacking prowess that saw them march to the 2012 RBS 6 Nations Grand Slam.

“The boys didn’t attack as they would have liked in the autumn,” added Jones.

“There’s no hiding from that. But prior to that Wales had played some great rugby.

“It’s definitely something Rob is keen to return to, that attacking brand of rugby, challenging defences all the time.

“We have some great options to do that, and there’s been a focus on trying to get  back to that attractive, effective type of rugby.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness