Jump to main content

Regional reaction

Regional reaction

Warren Gatland named his British & Irish Lions squad today and it contained no less than 15 Welsh players.

Share this page:

Wales, who recently completed back-to-back RBS 6 Nations titles, boast more Lions than any other country.

And our 13 regional Lions, minus tour captain Sam Warburton, gathered at Margam Park to celebrate the announcement.
Below are a selection of top-table quotes from Jamie Roberts, Dan Lydiate, Alun Wyn Jones and Jonathan Davies.

Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues):

“This is probably better than four years ago. For some of the boys it is our second tour. It’s an amazing feeling, a different feeling to the one four years ago, more one of relief this time around. It’s the pinnacle for any player.

“But on behalf of all the boys here, our commiserations are with the guys who didn’t make it, people like Ryan Jones, Dan Biggar and Ken Owens. That could easily have been any of us. Our thoughts are with those boys.

“It’s unbelievable to have this number of Welsh players. It’s testament to not only the Welsh national team and our success in the Six Nations but the coaches and staff at the regions. That is where we have trained every day leading up to this.

“When I realised Sam wasn’t at training I put two and two together. From a personal point of view it’s great to have Sam as captain, he’s from Cardiff Blues, has come through the system and we are massively proud of that.

“I have a huge amount of respect for Sam and what he has achieved. It’s a unique accolade in rugby. We can only imagine how he is feeling. That chance is so unique. It is a huge moment for Sam and his family.

“We will all get behind him and I’m sure the experienced guys like Brian O’Driscoll and Paul O’Connell will be around Sam to help him, with the ultimate goal of winning a Test series in Australia.

Dan Lydiate:

“I’m still in shock. We had training, I came in and heard Toby Faletau’s name and then mine a couple of minute’s later – it was a lot to take in.

“I’m over the moon because I have missed so much rugby this year. I should get back up to speed pretty quickly. I’ve worked with Warren and the other coaches before. It should be a good experience.

(Facing Edinburgh on Friday)

“You have to focus on the task in hand. If you look too far ahead something can crop up. Injuries are part and parcel of rugby. We are chuffed today but at game time we have to focus on the job and get it out of the way.

Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys).

“Rugby is a simple game and that doesn’t change irrelevant of where you play.

“Looking back to 2009, the thing that shocked me was it’s pretty quiet but as you get closer to the Tests you see things like England fans signing Delilah. You’re not representing one country you are representing four.

“We’ve all worked closely with Warren but we haven’t seen so much of him because of his involvement in the build up to today.

“In 2009 he was very much the same. He call a spade a spade, you get on with training which is short, sharp and very intense.

“A lot of players haven’t played a lot of rugby. I was the same last year going into the Australia and it did me good over there. I don’t think it is a bad thing. They will be well rested.

“Wales have come close to Australia but not close enough. It has come down to possession in the last two or three minutes and experiences like that will bode well moving forward.

Jonathan Davies (Scarlets):

“I was in the team room after training and just getting changed. It was pretty nerve racking moment with all the boys around but just a relief when I heard my name.

“The boys were in to me and nicking my phone but it was all good fun and pretty special.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness