Jump to main content

Moriarty relishing ultimate test

Moriarty relishing ultimate test

Wales flanker Ross Moriarty has warned world champions New Zealand that his men will be primed and ready to rewrite history.

Share this page:

Warren Gatland’s side are out to end 63 years of hurt as they travel to the home of the world champions for a three-Test series, beginning at Eden Park on June 11. Moriarty made an impact in the tour warm-up defeat to England at Twickenham.

And the Gloucester back-rower says Wales are excited about the challenge of measuring themselves against the world’s best side.

He said: “We’ll review England, learn from our mistakes and work on things. New Zealand will be the toughest of opposition and it will be a good test for us. They are two time world champions in a row, they are the best team in the world so it’s going to be a huge test for us down there.

“We’re not going to hold back, we’ll go out there and see what happens. We go there full of excitement, everyone wants to play the best team in the world and there is no bigger test than taking on New Zealand in their own backyard.”

Moriarty’s back-row colleague Dan Lydiate has been ruled out of the tour after he suffered a shoulder injury early on against the Red Rose. Ellis Jenkins has been called up in place of the Ospreys star. And Moriarty reckons the competition to replace Lydiate in the starting XV will be fierce.

He said: “It was sad to see Dan go down injured, but we have a few back-rowers here who have an opportunity now. It opens a window, and I’ll be pushing for a start. I enjoyed playing from the start and to play a full match, and I needed that to blow the cobwebs off.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness